Magic trackpad ... on desktop ... hints?

I love using my trackpad on my MacBook. It feels very natural, and so, so productive.

But I find the magic trackpad hard to use on my desktop.
I don’t know why.

I’d love to be able to use the trackpad on my desktop rather than the mouse.

Any hints?

Move it to the front of your keyboard, directly in the center, so it’s just like using a MB.

1 Like

Thanks Boris. I tried that but the Magic Keyboard is lower than the trackpad so it feels especially awkward.

What happens if you use your Magic Trackpad on your MBP?

Or via Universal Control?

TBH I use a mouse for MS Windows, but would be lost with one on macOS.

Something like this might be able to even it out, but you’re still not going to get the level plane the laptop has very easily:

I’ve found a similar situation, try adding a mouse to your setup and use both at the same time. I use mouse right hand and trackpad left, not sure if this is not normal as I’m a bit ambidextrous.

This will inform you about what movements/activities you feel more comfy about with a mouse.

For me, it’s more about precision movement, this is where in go for a mouse, rather than trackpad.

I also use trackpad on the left and mouse on the right, and am also somewhat ambidextrous.

But it is the best of both worlds — trackpad for gestures and other ‘gross motor movements’, mouse for precision.

All scrolling and swiping back and forth (Spaces, Safari history, etc) is done on the trackpad. Any placing of text cursor or graphics editing or slider manipulation etc is done with the mouse. Clicking a regular button could be either one.

This also helps avoid strain problems.

1 Like

I use both. The trackpad is adjacent to the keyboard on my right (dominant) side. The mouse is below the trackpad. I have a deskchair with an adjustable armrest situated height-wise so that I can put my elbow on the arm rest and easily reach all finger devices (keyboard, trackpad, and mouse). When I use the trackpad, and mouse, I try to remember that most of the time I don’t have to “cllick” but can “tap” which perhaps cuts down on the stress. Years of muscle memory on “clicking” is hard to erase. Seems to work for me.

I have this same challenge. For me, it’s more mindset and context than anything else. I always prefer using a mouse, but if I’m using a MacBook keyboard, I’m invariably in a position where using a mouse would be cumbersome, so I accept the limitation and make the most of what I’ve got. As soon as I know a mouse is not in any way cumbersome or impractical, that’s what I want in my hand. I’ve tried on multiple occasions for a week or two to force myself to use the Magic Trackpad when I could use a mouse, but it never sticks. There’s no advantage to it for me. Certain functions, such as selecting and moving text or objects, which I do a lot, I can do with much more precision and comfort with a mouse.

I have the same thing with contact lenses. I find contact lenses to be a constant mild irritation when I wear them during my daily life, so I choose to wear glasses. When I’m active, however, like riding a bike, playing softball, tennis, etc., I don’t like to wear glasses, primarily because I don’t want to destroy them, but also because they tend to slip around, or off, at inopportune moments when I need to, you know, be able to see things, including things that are flying straight at my face. So I wear contacts instead, and as long as I’m engaged in the activity, I barely notice them. The minute the activity is over, though, the contacts start to bug me, and I yank them out as soon as possible.