Mail Act-On Alternative

Nice. I’ve also built a script filter but it uses a fixed csv of folders (and accounts, so it works if the names are the same) to which I can easily add a folder. I found running AppleScript to get the list of folders was too slow given how many I have.

1 Like

Thanks @ldebritto for your suggestion, and for putting that on GitHub. I’ve tried downloading and installing the Alfred workflow - after setting up the hotkey, I can trigger the workflow - there’s a very brief flash of the attached image, before it disappears and I’m left with the Alfred search bar:

However, then typing the name or partial name of any folder doesn’t bring up a list of folders:

Do you have any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? Although I use Alfred many times a day to launch apps and run specific queries against different search engine URLs, I’ve never explored the workflow side of it.

There’s a way to debug. Open Alfred and click on the bug on the lower part of the window.

After doing so, get back to Mail and then try to run the workflow.

Get back to the Alfred window and you will have a bunch of text into the blank part of the window, as shown bellow:

Having a look at that window will give us a hint of what’s going on there.

1 Like

Hey @sunil, I was helping a friend that had a similar issue and it turned out that he did not have a required app for workflow to run: “JSON Helper”, from Mousedown software, which is available on Mac App Store for free.

See if that fits your bill as well.

@ldebritto Thank you for this. It is really helpful. One problem that I am having is this:

I’d like to file an email in a sub-folder (called ‘Talaith’) of a folder called ‘Esgobaeth’.

When the folder is ‘closed’, the script doesn’t work.
CleanShot 2022-10-03 at 09.43.08@2x

When the folder is ‘open’, it does!
CleanShot 2022-10-03 at 09.42.57@2x

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Robert

I am not into scripting, but speaking in general, if you have to put in the name of the folders anyway into your script, can’t you not put in also an order to open the mother folder before you get to the target folder?

And does it really makes any sense (beside maybe the “fun” to write a working script?) to write a script, to file an e-mail into a special folder? Wouldn’t it be much easier to use a simple Mail Rule for that?