Mail.app crashes viewing flagged messages

Mail.app crashes whenever I try to select a flag in the sidebar (or favorites bar) to view flagged messages. Then if I relaunch and try it again, it will crash several more times before, on maybe the sixth or seventh try, it will finally settle down and let me work with my messages. It’s to the point where I’m really considering dropping the fifty bucks on MailMate. Is anyone else seeing this kind of behavior?

I have not experienced this issue. Does it persist through restarts? Is macOS up to date? You could test it with another user account, as well.

1 Like

Have you tried to Rebuild? You might have a corrupt mailbox index, and Rebuild will attempt to fix that.

Mailbox > Rebuild

1 Like

If I leave my mail app open overnight it usually crashes. I just keep sending crash reports to Apple to inundate them.

Good idea, but alas, that doesn’t seem to help.

1 Like

Since Rebuild didn’t help, maybe try booting into Safe Mode and then reboot normally. That clears up a lot of cache files which might help. The OnyX utility will do a lot of the same without the reboots. If the spotlight index is used in finding flagged messages (I don’t know if it is), the issue could be there and that index can be rebuilt.

1 Like