Making AppleTV more useful

I’m jealous of something I saw on Amazon: a Skylight calendar. It’s a large touchscreen, like an iPad, that is geared towards families as a kind of electronic bulletin board. It can display calendars, reminders, photos, and other things.

That’s what I would love Apple TV to do, and it shouldn’t really be that hard. Even just to have the family calendar on a screen in the morning along with reminders for the day would be really helpful as I try to get the kids out the door. Even just a freaking half decent clock.

There should be an app for that, but I can’t find one. Any ideas?

2 Likes

My first thought is that could be a screen saver feature. My media adapter displays a “freaking half decent clock” along with the temperature and the weather :sun_behind_rain_cloud:. And yes, it is helpful.

1 Like

I did go down this rabbit hole recently, but forget some of the details I found, because I didn’t find a reasonable solution.

I did end up installing the Dakboard app on my ipad as a compromise, still not 100% the experience I’m looking for either.

What I recall is, the way to bring up dakboard on your Apple TV is to install developer tools via the USB port on the ATV and there’s a version of safari you can install/enable and then you’d point the browser to your Dakboard account.

But that still wouldn’t make it a screensaver. I see ripe opportunity for an Apple solution here, I foresee same ios/macOS widgets being enabled on ATV, that’d be the dream.

Panic used to have an app called Status Board, it would even work on a TV - but they unfortunately closed it down a few years ago - nobody bought it they said.
Status Board Launch

Amazon have their 15 inch alexa/echo, but apart from that I can think of any.

I would love to use one

You could use a dedicated iPad in kiosk mode.

I did. As I recall I never found a collection of data worth having on constant display.

But a collection of widgets on my iPad Pro, that shows me my day at a glance when I pick it up, is what I’ve always wanted.

Time, Temperature, Weather, Email, Calendar, Tasks, Reminders, Battery level of devices, Audible, and Podcasts.

1 Like