Matte 23-27 Monitor for Mac mini 2018?

I use a Mac mini 2018 (3.2 i7 16GB). I am ready to replace my 23 Apple Cinema HD Display. I want another matte screen 23-27 inch.

Other than daily use of Mail, Safari/Firefox/Brave, Omnifocus, Busycal, I build with Wordpress and use CiviCRM. So nothing very demanding. After reading up here about Mac mini, I chose the above configuration. It does all I need and more which makes me happy.

What matte 23-27 monitors would you recommend I consider?

I am budgeting ~$500. Possibly wiling to go a little higher. I like something which is well built and which gives me better performance than my beloved Cinema Display.

I have 2 4K monitors (a Dell for at work (I can get the model number on Monday), and an Asus (MG28UQ) at the house) for my MBP. The Dell sits beside my 23” Cinema display that’s still going strong. Neither of the 4K monitors will win design awards but they cost under $500 each and do their jobs without fuss.

The Asus is a gaming monitor; I don’t game or do graphics work but I write a fair bit of code and they work well for that.

Last two monitors I bought (last one purchased in 2015, I think) were both matte-screened Dells. One was 24" the replacement was a 25". I liked them both.

I’d check the usual suspects (iMore, PCmag, Wirecutter, tomshardware, techradar) for recent reviews. Lots of excellent options today, and it’s unlikely that most Mac users (who tend to use Apple screens) will be able to compare available models like a good comparison review can.

I trust only www.rtings.com :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your input. A useful resource which @bowline pointed me to surfaced this article specifically about Matte monitors.

Still looking for comments and recommendations.
Cheers and Onwards…

1 Like

I am also using the ASUS MG28UQ and find it to be a very decent 4K display for my 2018 mini. Keep your eye out for sales, and you will be a happy camper with one.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MG28UQ/overview/

1 Like

I like this one from LG. Matte, and in your price range.

Thanks John. I am getting closer to making my purchase. I am still on the fence about 24" vs 27" or larger like a 30". So far, I am mostly looking at 4K Dells. I am feeling a little stuck! I have been using 23" Apple Cinema displays for 10+ years now. I feel like a 27" would feel more like an upgrade for me.

Which 27" did you end up choosing? What reasons had you move up to 27"? Now that you’ve had it for a while, how are you coping with more real estate?

My concerns are neck strain and more screen than I really need. I look forward to you sharing your experiences and comments.

I have two of the LG monitors linked in my previous post.
I was using dual 24" monitors at home and school, but the resolution wasn’t that great, and led to eye fatigue. I realize that not having one monitor directly facing me was fatiguing a well, as it was always like I was watching a tennis match - looking from one to the other. Replacing the two 24" (non-4k) with a single 27" 4K was a Good Move™.

I’m now using an iMac Pro at home, and have one of the 27" monitors at the left side. At school, the other 27" is my only monitor, and my MacBook Pro is used clamshelled.
Both are a good setup, though my setup at home makes me want better at school. I’m not going to dump money into that setup though.

I guess my only complaint is not with the monitors, but in the way macOS handles the monitor at home. At home, if I change the resolution of the 4K monitor, macOS thinks the physical size changes. That can leave virtual edges that trap the mouse as I move back and forth from iMac Pro to external monitor, and also changes the mouse’s vertical position slightly. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Further conversations with MPU posters have led me to coupling my 2018 Mac mini to a 27” 4K Dell or HP or LG and to the wirecutter.com reviews.

I am hearing that moving up to a 27” (from 23” Apple Cinema Display) would be a good move and upgrade, 60mhz is important as are height/angle adjustments.

Dell U2718Q is a top pick and recommended by several in our forums.

HP Z27 is another top pick and I am curious why I am not finding any reference to it in our forums.

If you chose a 27” Dell, HP or LG, I am interested to hear what helped you make up your mind.