Max Cable Length For USB 3.0 Hub To Mac Mini?

Looking at getting my 2 Mac Minis and their entire array of misc. hard drive enclosures off my desk and onto a shelf next to it.

Basically I’m looking to have all the stuff that I really never have to actually touch during the day on a nice durable bookcase next to the desk, and have my “touch” stuff (keyboard, trackpad, ScanSnap S1300i, charging docks, etc.) live on my height-adjustable desk.

I have a nice USB 3.0 hub already that seems to work very well.

I’m thinking that I’d probably need a longer cable to do the cable routing as cleanly as I’d prefer to.

I know that all USB cables theoretically have a max length, and USB 3.1 / USB-C has some very particular cable length limits, but I’m seeing conflicting info as to what exactly happens when you violate those. And of course this is 3.0, not 3.1, if that matters. Plus everything currently plugged into the hub is a USB 2.0 device or a charger.

So can I go with a 3 or even a 4-meter cable to get the cable route that I’d prefer? Or will I be sad? Anybody have any experience? :slight_smile:

Looks like the recommended maximum is 3 meters, but you can always add a powered hub and extend that farther. E.g. with a hub in the middle and two 3m cables, you could go 6m.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html#usb3limit

1 Like

And FYI I discussed Thunderbolt limits here.

1 Like