Menu bar calculator / spreadsheet

I’m wondering if there is such a thing as a fast menu bar spreadsheet / calculator app for Mac.

Many times, I find myself needing to do a quick simple calculation like adding a bunch of numbers. Opening a spreadsheet is not optimal due to speed although maybe there is a shortcut that can make it faster.

I usually calculate super easy things in Alfred but it’s not optimal.

I usually don’t need to save it for later either although that’s a nice option.

I have read about Soulver and see that Numi is on Setapp that I have but I’m not sure those fit the bill although I will test Numi.

Any ideas?

You can use FluidApp to put any app you wish in your menu bar

https://fluidapp.com/

Thanks. I probably should’ve been more clear.

I’m thinking something more like Drafts where you click on the icon and it quickly opens up and you can start typing. Very lightweight. I don’t want to have to wait to open up something like Excel or Numbers when I just need to add a few numbers together.

Yes - I understand that is your goal.

My point is you do not have to find such a program specifically written for the menu bar. Find whatever calculator you wish and then use FluidApp to put it in the menu bar.

1 Like

Spotlight, Alfred and LaunchBar all give basic calculator functionality when invoked with hotkey.

Alfred also has hooks into the Soulver spreadsheety-calculator app (which you might want to look at!) so you can invoke more complicated math-related functionality from within Alfred.

1 Like

I was curious too and found that though Soulver is bought through the App Store, it has a 30 day trial that I’m going to download in the morning.
Scroll to the very bottom of the page.

It looks to me like it’s exactly what you want.

1 Like

Soulver is a great little app. I don’t use it as much as I used to but I bought it almost exactly eight years ago in v.2 and it’s super-reliable (and has an iOS app as well).

Thanks, everyone. I had read about Soulver (including older threads in this group). I think it’s a bit overkill for my needs but I can try the demo as well as Numi which is free for me on Setapp.

Are you sure?

I thought Fluid is to turn any webpage (not any App) into an App (that can be put in the menu bar).

1 Like

See what you think.

Numi has worked out very well for me. It’s a simple interface, but has a useful set of features.

NOT a spreadsheet app (one of your requirements).

1 Like

Sorry - you are correct there - I did not think that through fully

Still there are probably some good free calculator web apps out there so you can achieve the same effect