Messagebus(dbus)daemon user on startup?

OK Can anyone explain why after the reinstall of my Catalina system I suddenly see a new user on startup?

messagebus(dbus)daemon is the username and I have no clue what it is or the password or what I should do about it.

Google has been less than helpful as all the stuff I can find is about Linux installations or makes no sense.

Looks like an inter-application messaging daemon. If you don’t know why it’s there and what apps are using it, then assuming your own account is an administrator, or. you can log in as one, then do so and delete that account. If something breaks in one of your apps as a result, at least you can explicitly address the re-establishment of the configuration.

1 Like

It should not be part of a clean Catalina install. It might have come with a different application.

Do you have Homebrew installed? Apparently, it is using the dbus package that uses this demon. There are other instances that use this package, too.

Not that I’m aware of. I’ve been using pip to do my Python package installs.

I found that thread but it does not show up in the Users and Groups section in System Preferences.

There is a folder macports in the Users folder on the hard drive but nothing else.

That is why I’m confused.

I do not know much about Linux or Python… DBus is also available for Python/pip:

Something will have installed or used this daemon before.

Take a look at /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ and see if there are any related components. (Also look in /System/Library/LaunchAgents/). If so, rename the component(s) – put a dummy extension on the end of them, for example – and reboot. See if the user still appears on startup.

all com.apple in LaunchAgents except this one com.openssh.ssh-agent.plis

in LaunchDaemons all are com.apple except

bootps.plist and this list

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 9.26.31 AM

I don’t see anything that seems out of place to me