Microsoft Madness: OneDrive, Office, Edge on iPad

I’ve not been in a classroom for 18 months… until this morning. And everything is changed. My university has gone single sign-in with everything linked to Microsoft Office/Edge/and OneDrive (and of course Zoom) on the classroom machines.

For 12 years I’ve done nothing but Mac and iPad, using DropBox to keep my files and Keynote for my lectures.

Is there anybody out there facing the same situation who has some best practices? What about running Keynote on the web in such a setup? Could I store my Keynote files on OneDrive and run them with iWork web apps? Could I do that on MS Edge?

I realize this is a bit of a mess (and I won’t even mention the problem of connecting my iPad to the antiquated VGA plus audio cable input).

Steve Martin.

I’m in a locked in corporate MS environment and have no issues saving Keynote, Pages, or Numbers sheets to OneDrive. When a file is selected it opens in the native app and changes are saved to OneDrive. I don’t use Edge but hope it helps alleviate so of your concerns.

2 Likes

Key thing is to use Microsoft office, else you’ll spend your life converting files and making adjustments.

Microsoft 365 and MacOS / iOS is quite functional.

If you have control over your files and documents, then you should be fine just with using your Keynote files and everything else. It does not matter if they are stored on a OneDrive Folder or wherever else. OneDrive integrates nicely with iPadOS. The only question is if and how you need to work with those “classroom machines”. A Keynote file will not help you on a PC. But if you still are able to use your iPad/Mac, then you should be fine.

There is one caveat: With “having control” I mean that your files are your files and that the bucks stop with you regarding those files. If you are in a position that you need to collaborate with others when using those files then you might be up for a rough ride if you do not switch to Microsoft Office. Because like @SteveMac has mentioned, you potentially could have a lot of work on your plate converting files or dealing with compatibility issues.

Fortunately I don’t need to collaborate on the teaching front. I do with admin work, but have used MS Word in the past, so no problem there. I’m going to use my iPad as my primary teaching machine and try to find workarounds for the lack of an audio jack for the antiquated VGA classroom setup.

1 Like