Migrating from CrashPlan for Home

I’ve been using CrashPlan for Home for over two years and need to move to a new service as the Home product is being discontinued. I’m not sure where to go. CrashPlan has tied up with Carbonite for Home (50% off and two free months) and CrashPlan for Small Business (75% off for a year). I’m not sure whether to pick one of these, given the attractive prices, or to move to something else altogether and would like to know what people in our community are doing.

FYI, I am currently using CrashPlan for Home to back up 2 Macs and 5 PCs and would like to use a solution that works well across platforms.

Hi Ajay,

I’m had converted to the small business plan, which was 2.49/month, which is a fantastic deal. The reason I was using crash plan was that it was the only one who would backup a Network drive (my Synology). After cleaning up a lot of cruft on my NAS, I decided to use cloud sync and put everything in OneDrive with my Office 365 Home subscription which gives me 1TB per user and 5 users (6 in oct.) I also have Dropbox 1TB so I’m covered for external “Backup”. I have a drive which I bring to the office and a rotation of 4 drives connected to my Mac, so I feel confident that I won’t loose anything. I don’t remember the deal with CrashPlan though, if you have to pay for each computer, that’s 7 computers. At 2.49 each, that’s reasonable but at 10$, maybe not, your call.

1 Like

I switched over to Backblaze when my CrashPlan subscription ran out. It’s worked great for me. Only complaint is that they don’t offer family plans.

1 Like

It is true that Backblaze doesn’t offer special family pricing plans, but they do offer a veey convenient ability to manage multiple computers with the Groups feature.

1 Like

I went with the CrashPlan for Business offer since it was so cheap (75% off), even with three Macs, and migration was seamless. The discounted price is only good for a year, though, so next year I will be revisiting the options. I was leaning toward iDrive, but decided to kick the can down the road another year.

1 Like

I switched to Backblaze a while ago and haven’t looked back. Great service with solid recovery options. Zero regrets.

1 Like

+1 for Backblaze. Unlike Crashplan, it’s Java-free client is so unnoticeable.

1 Like

I made the switch from CrashPlan for Home to CrashPlan Business. To my knowledge, still affordable and allows me to backup my Synology.

1 Like

I used CrashPlan for years until they had an issue they could not explain, which destroyed my MacPro’s archive, rendering it unreadable in their data center.

So I moved to Backblaze a year ago and am very happy with the service. Even though they have the service to ship a drive for their restore-return-refund program, I hope I never have to use it as it would be quite inconvenient.

1 Like

Thank you all for responding. Like others here I too decided to go with CrashPlan for Small Business as it offered a seamless way to transfer the existing backups and is a heck of a deal at 75% off (effectively $2.50/month). Like @SeanCowdrey I plan to evaluate my options after a year but am happy for now.

I migrated from CrashPlan Home to Small Business last year - I think my discounted year sub runs out this month or next.

Currently using it to backup three machines; my MacBook, my son’s laptop and a Linux VM that connects to and backs up a number of shares on my NAS.

I guess I should start looking around at alternatives but even $30/month is still ok for that piece of mind that being able to go back 4+ years to restore a file that has since become corrupted.

1 Like

Since I already pay for a ton os storage I was not using, I’ve changed to Arq Backup. It’s a neat software that encrypts and backups your data to any of the main Cloud Storage solutions. On the upside, it’s a single purchase (you could even buy upgrades for life with a little extra) and you can even change your storage solution in the future, should you find a better deal.

1 Like

I see Arq Backup cropping up a lot. Maybe it’s something I need to check out as a possible alternative when my discounted CrashPlan for Small Business account returns to normal pricing.

1 Like

I tried restoring some files in order to test it, and it was really fast both to find files (by name) and to retrieve them.

Encryption is local, so choose a very long 1Password string and you should be fine on that flank as well.

1 Like

Just looked into Arq and am seriously considering crossing over once the promo pricing on my CrashPlan for Small Business account is up.

I agree. Right now, Arq is a contender when it comes time for next year’s reassessment.