Mindmapping / visual thinking + Zettelkasten =?

I was almost certain that “Lifestyle” was a bit on the edge from a wording point of view but I liked the contrast. :wink: As a matter of fact I should have been more specific as I meant exactly what you stated:

and add:

Combining both and integrating them into everyday life, to form a habit, is what I meant with lifestyle. I actually came across Luhmann and his Zettelkasten in a totally analog context and started digging as I found it very appealing and even more so after reading Ahrens book on it. At some point I read an article called “The collectors fallacy” and realized that in parts I was doing exact that, which really didn’t lead anywhere. That’s how my personal journey began: out of a desire to have a deeper learning experience.

That said, I am still figuring some things out and certainly don’t have all the answers but I can connect to the way how KillerWhale summarized it:

3 Likes

I use Tinderbox to do this. I mentally map concepts, link them to each other, and regularly go back to revisit how I’ve mapped them and edit the content of the nodes (my “zettels”).

For example, here is a version of a map when I was just beginning to understand attention restoration theory, followed by a revised map where I needed less explanation and visual noise to put the pieces together.

v1

v2

And here is a comparison of the “zettel” I wrote for one of the concepts “fascination” at the early on and then later:

…early on:

…and later:

–Beck

16 Likes

Hello @beck , I’ve watched some of your videos. They are very helpful. Thank you for creating and posting them on YouTube :blush:

4 Likes

How about a field guide. You could even give David a discount on your guide. :slight_smile: