MindNode switches to a subscription business model

We have the option to either buy a full mindnode 7 or go the subscription right. Mindnode 8 will be a subscription only option.

Aye, far as I understand it:

For all existing MindNode 5 and MindNode 6 customers, MindNode 7 will be a free upgrade.

1 Like

Not sure if this has been said before but rereading MindNodes blog post it says the free tier will allow editing of nodes, it does not say creation?

It’s just not a subscription worthy app to me, although I appreciate for others it may be.

Mindnode 7 will be a free upgrade to MindNode 5 and 6 users. New MindNode purchasers will get all of the features. But any features in MindNode 8 may be available only in the subscription plan. I can’t remember where I read it. I think it may have been Twitter or Facebook. The subscription part will be more strongly enforced when MindNode 8 comes out.

In the free mode, basic functions such as editing and creation of nodes and mind maps will be available.

You will only be purchasing MindNode for the platform you chose. You will have to pay for a license for MindNode 7 iOS and pay for another license for MindNode 7 Mac edition.

If you get the subscription, you’ll be able to use MindNode 7 on either platform. There will be no need to purchase the app twice.

1 Like

Currently I’m using iThoughtsX. I have two use cases:

1. Robotically generated coloured tree-structure content - imported as CSV.
  2. Mind maps for each of my podcast episodes.

My thought is that if I subscribe to MindNode (and I already have previous releases) I’d

1. Use the heck out of it - to justify my subscription.
  2. Explore what data import and export capabilities there are. (I doubt, for example, the CSV import format is the same as with iThoughtsX.)

I already have a lot of faith in the MindNode developers but wonder in what ways their offering is superior to iThoughts. This question from someone who would use it on iPad, iPhone and Mac, at very least. (I also have Raspberry Pi and Web as targets of any eventual data, but not Windows. z/OS is where my CSV files originate from.)

Not “superior”, just different. I think the interface is a bit cleaner, there’s a nice Quick Entry widget on the Mac and a nice Omnifocus integration. But if iThoughts works for you, there’s no compelling reason to switch (IMO)

2 Likes

Wonder what happens with setapp users…

I kind of see this move a a gamble by the MindNode team… what new features will be subscription only? I bet most MindNode users don’t know about most features and just create mind maps and save them to iCloud or locally.

I guess they’re banking on power users and companies rather than the average user. Fair enough!

I’m somewhat late to the game in terms of mind mapping and I may be the only person here actually considering purchasing MindNode at this point. After utilizing the demo for the last few days, I’m finding mind mapping software to be an extremely effective tool for me and I really do like the way MindNode works. I guess I’m a little unclear as to how the business model changes would impact customers who have purchased the current version of MindNode (6). I am also firmly opposed to a subscription and so I am actually looking at the next week or so as a small window of opportunity for me to get in on the software with a one-time purchase. While it’s not completely clear, from what I’m reading on the MindNode website, it seems that an owner of MindNode 6 will retain all functionality of the current version without a need to purchase a subscription. I understand that I should not expect new features without a subscription, however, am I correct in saying that MindNode 6 will continue to function as it is now indefinitely? My concern isn’t new features, rather, it’s continued support on future versions of MacOS and iOS. In the past it was necessary to upgrade to a new version every few years in order to continue using the software after multiple OS upgrades. But with this subscription model in place, is it not true that a person who is satisfied with the feature set of MindNode 6 would reap the benefits of indefinite support as long as MindNode exists as an available subscription? Tell me if I’m crazy for considering this!

This is my interpretation, although “indefinitely” is a strong word. You’ll also have full access to MindNode 7, I think. You’d probably get at least a few years out of the app before OS changes (or something) break it without MindNode implementing fixes.

I would write MindNode directly, however, to confirm. I’m sure they’d answer.

1 Like

I’m only willing to pay for a subscription on a handful of apps. The amount you’re paying can get out of hand if you just sign up willy nilly for them. I unsubscribed to any app I wasn’t using daily early in 2019.

2 Likes

Looks like the new version dropped yesterday.

Tags are well done I must say and you get the new features if you own version 5 or 6 without the subscription so I’d recommend upgrading even if you’re not planning on subscribing (or have a SetApp subscription).

The feature I wish they’d implement is ability to drag and drop nodes in Outline view. Of course you can do it in the map but if you’re in Outline view it just takes you out of the flow to make a quick change.

For those wondering: SetApp now supplies version 7.0 as well, and it is licensed as “plus” so nothing changes there :slight_smile:

1 Like

But … MindNode says v7 is available at no charge to existing customers. So probably what will matter is if MindNode remains in Setapp if a version 8 shows up.

FWIW, the MindNode upgrade from the App Store also says it is “Plus” and yet it includes a screen to purchase a subscription.

Katie

1 Like

Anything like this screen?

I bought Mindnode through the MAS and just have the regular license. Not sure I intend to subscribe at this point…

An improved outline is also something we are very interested in. Right now we don’t have a clear picture of how this would fit into the overall concept of MindNode, but something we discuss right now.

2 Likes

We have no plans to pull MindNode from Setapp. We plan to make version 8 also available on Setapp.

This screen in the preferences always shows the Plus badge except when you have a MindNode 5/6 license. In this case we wanted to prevent confusion as we feared by showing the badge some customers might believe they got automatically subscribed.

5 Likes

At the moment subscribing would only give you access to the iOS version (if you don’t already own it). So you can wait until you have the feeling that we introduced a feature you really want to use. In this case you would still get 6 or 12 months for free (depending on if you also own the iOS version).

Subscribing now only has the advantage of locking in the current introductory price. But please don’t ask me how long we will keep this price and to what we might raise it. I actually have no idea right now…

2 Likes

Thanks. I do own both, so I’ll wait a bit to see what develops!