Mojave desktop fonts

Hi all,

After installing Mojave I can’t read the labels on files or folders on the desktop in light mode. I can in dark mode. I’ve searched and not found anything about this anywhere except for a non-retna display but mine is a retina. . I’m on a MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Here’s what it looks like in dark mode

Is “font smoothing” on in System Preferences > General?

Yea thought of that one too.

I tried it with and without “font smoothing” - no change

Stephen

I just noticed that Trash does not suffer from this problem.

Filenames (Trash is not a filename) are appearing in a font with a shadow! Anyway, here is a possible solution to the problem – clear the Font Cache. http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/08/clear-font-caches-databases-mac-os-x/. Don’t bother with the repair permissions – that doesn’t apply to Mojave.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn’t work.

So that gave me an idea and I tried running Onyx. That worked - sort of. Restarted the Mac and the fonts were fine in white easy to read. But as apps which start at startup started one of them did this. I don’t know if it was Slack or my VPN ExpressVPN or what. So now I know I’ve got to stop all apps from loading at startup and start them one at a time.

This is going to take more time than I have now. I won’t be able to debug this for a week I’ll report back when I’ve figured out who the culprit is.

Naughty app if it messes with the system fonts!

Took a bit but I’ve found the app. It’s Pathfinder. Close the app and the desktop is fine. BTW IF I set preferences in Pathfinder to NOT hide finder’s desktop it looks bad…

If I hide finder’s desktop

1 Like

OK I’ve got the solution. Found it on Pathfinder’s support page. Needed to remove Pathfinder’s desktop. Leaves me with just Finder’s desktop and the fonts are fine. Well that was a bit of detective work :wink:

http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/120254-mojave-and-finder-desktop

1 Like