Mojave last version of macOS that will support Aperture

MacRumors spotted a new kbase article :bellhop_bell: about the end of this long-running app, urging customers to migrate to Photos or Lightroom.

1 Like

As one still using Aperture, I’ve been preparing for this “event”. I use two Aperture libraries. The first does the image processing from raw. I rarely go back and reprocess. The images are exported as JPEGs and saved on my server computer so they can be accessed from anywhere or any program. Then the second Aperture library points at the JPEGs.

Even with Mojave I’ve noticed a major drop in reliability of Aperture and the use of plugins. So it really has got to go.

I’ve finally signed up for Adobe’s photography package (FYI my old copy of Photoshop also won’t run after Mojave) and I’ll continue to run with the same workflow, just substituting programs.

It turns out that Aperture is the least of my worries as I regularly use 32-bit programs for which there isn’t yet a 64-bit recompile and at least in one case will never be. For that reason I’m replacing my 4 year old iMac with a new one that I will keep on Mojave as long as possible (supported for five years) at which time I probably won’t care about that software anymore.

“Bitter, party of 1(+++)”
I still resent Apple for abandoning Aperture.
Along with Fujitsu’s ScanSnap slap.
It’s likely that my iMac will remain at Mojave 10.14 for now.

1 Like

Oh, we’re going to need a much bigger table.

I have been on-and-off trying out various migration ideas and workflow substitutions, and its certainly frustrating that what Aperture does all tied up neatly in one program will now need to be spread out over many different programs, unless one wants Lightroom. Given that I have a large library I’d like to land on something that (of course) supports large catalogs, but also supports a workflow I can embrace into the future, as I don’t really want to convert libraries again, if I can avoid it.

But I suppose this announcement will force my hand. I’ve ben thinking I may end up with the system described in this post: image management strategy and use Capture One.

1 Like

Adding insult to injury, if you were holding onto Lightroom Classic because Aperture was deprecated and you didn’t want to switch to subscription software, it appears that Adobe is revoking your license. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3xk3p/adobe-tells-users-they-can-get-sued-for-using-old-versions-of-photoshop

As a result of litigation with Dolby Adobe is removing some Adobe CC (Creative Cloud) apps. But this is pushed on them because of the litigation and it’s highly unlikely that they will actively go after a single person using an older app. Here’s a chart they provided about authorized vs unauthorized apps: