Monitor Arm Recommendation

Hi All,

I am in the market for monitor arm recommendations. The arms will be used with heavy and wide screens 32”+.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I got this one:

I’m currently using it with a 40" TV via a VESA adapter plate (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07771JFVP/) and it’s great.

Whether it would work well for you probably depends on what the definition of “heavy” and “wide” is. And if you need to do the adapter thing, remember that’s about 2 lbs of the 25 you’re allowed for the mount.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. My definition of wide is 32 inch or more and around 18lbs.

I know these are not really wide or heavy. But I wanted to say I am not going to use for smaller (more frequently used) monitors.

I think I don’t need it if the monitor supports VESA. Correct?

The adapter plate just converts a smaller (75x75 or 100x100) mount pattern to a larger one. Oddly enough, it’s completely useless if the monitor doesn’t support VESA already. :slight_smile:

The reason I got the adapter plate is that the original thing I was attaching had a 200x200 pattern, and obviously the arm is 100x100 - so the adapter plate was needed. Screwed the plate to the mount, then screwed the plate to the monitor.

Also…if you’ve never done the VESA mounting thing, be prepared to potentially make a trip to the hardware store or just buy a pre-done kit that has all the common screw sizes. Some arms come with just the screws they think you need, and sometimes your TV has a different idea. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ve ordered an iMac with a VESA mount for my wife. We need an arm that moves in and out very easily - preferably without touching the computer itself. Also, her desk is a full 36 inches deep. Would this arm would fit the bill?

There aren’t any handles on the arm, so usually I grab the monitor by the bezels. It’s not super-easy to glide, but it might be lube-able. I’ve never tried, because I really don’t adjust it all that often. :slight_smile:

I got the Jarvis Monitor Arm and I’ve been satisfied with it. It was easy to install and it’s easy to adjust. It has set screws at the pivot points that allow you to change the resistance independently, so you can make it easy to move in one axis but not others, for instance.

Did you ever get something that met your needs @jec0047? I have the Amazon Basics arm (which the Wirecutter says is the same design as the Ergotron LX) and I am not thrilled with it. It’s fine, but I have a very heavy monitor on it and it does not move easily. I want something I can frequently reposition with ease, but I am not sure if that exists from what I have read.

The monitor I am going to use it with is an LG Ultrafine 27", so not a big heavy thing or anything. Appreciate any input.

Thank, I did, although I can’t remember exactly what I got at this moment :man_shrugging:

The Ergotron arms are the best. Get the one that can handle your monitor weight.

1 Like

Thanks, that seems the consensus of everything I have read. To be clear the Amazon Basic version (that is no longer for sale) officially supports the weight of the monitor I have it hooked up to, it’s just really awkward to reposition. I think I will get the Ergotron for my LG and see how that goes.

What’s the problem you’re having moving it? I also have an UltraFine on an Amazon Basics arm and it repositions just like an Ergotron would. The screen should move when you give it a light touch and push or pull steadily.

The Amazon arm is connected to a 34" Alienware UW monitor. I had to tighten it up quite a bit from it’s out of the box settings just to keep it from sagging. It will left/right swivel with a touch, but up and down I need to grab both ends of the monitor and slowly adjust it. It won’t move up or down with a light push. I can’t loosen it much more or it will gradually sag. It works fine, but moving it takes some effort.

Edit: to be clear I am looking to get a new arm for my LG Ultrafine, not the Alienware. The LG is my main computer’s second monitor, but I don’t always need it and it takes up a lot of desk space that I would like to use for speakers. I want to be able to move in and out as needed with little effort.

1 Like

This arm repositions rather easily, (32" LG), not sure if you need a desk or wall mount though… https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SM5X4HW

1 Like