Monterey 12.3.1, Skype and Rosetta - Still needed?

Hello… A Rosetta install was prompted as I was beginning to install Skype on a new for me Monterey 12.3.1 Macbook. I am being real cautious about what new software gets installed on this laptop. At this point, it appears that I cannot use Skype unless I install Rosetta.

What are the pros and cons of installing this software which I know little about. What is Rosetta and how come Skype and a new 2021 laptop needs it?

I’m sure someone will give you a much better answer, but Skype most likely hasn’t been updated to run on the ARM chips in the new M1-based Macs. In order for your new Mac to run an app written for Intel-based chips, the ARM-based Macs run an emulator called Rosetta. I think the first version of Rosetta did the something similar when Apple switched from PowerPC to Intel.

2 Likes

Subtext to this: Rosetta is Apple’s own emulator, allowing software written for Intel chips to run on Apple’s own (Mx) chips.

2 Likes

Thank you @tf2 and @oldblueday. I appreciate your informative and conforming replies. Cheers!

1 Like

I had to install Rosetta (actually Rosetta 2) on my M1 Mac because of Adobe. Although the programs that I needed to install were all updated to run on Apple Silicon (Photoshop, Illustrator), the installer program was not! Kinda ridiculous, but Rosetta 2 runs so much faster than the original Rosetta, so it’s just annoying and nothing more.

1 Like