Monterey crashes every night

Thanks @ismh !
It’s nice to be validated (especially by a non-obsolete product).

Found an Install Big Sur.app I had lying around.
Made a bootable USB using createwhatever.
It booted!
Install Big Sur…

1 Like

Alright, left it several hours into processing a dataset, had dinner and it took a big hairy poop.
CCC backup in progress, then will nuke and pave.

Hopefully it will stay up four hours for the back up.

Nuked and paved.
Did a clean install of Big Sur without migrating. Going to install everything I can from scratch, as it’s probably time to get rid of some cruft. I don’t think that’s the problem with Monterey though, that seems to be related to NMI and virtual machines (VMware, Docker, etc.).

1 Like

Data analysis ran all night in a docker under Big Sur, so looks like things are back to normal.

4 Likes

I certainly hope so. Fingers and toes crossed.

1 Like

Hard to believe all this. Apple only delivers flawless software (and hardware for that matter). Must be something external.

[/cynical mode]

1 Like

After a carefree few months of Big Sur, I installed Monterey again, thinking the issue(s) might have been resolved. Nay.

Trying some things suggested on the inter webs, beginning with using these Energy Saver settings, and switching to using the Unifying Receiver for my Logi mouse, rather than Bluetooth.

9d142854b99ca800b2c2d3c4dfd2714412592df1

My Mac is a 2018 Mini with Monterey 12.1.

If I run Music on this machine then Music becomes inceasingly unresponsive during the day and eventually the system crashes. It may crash while I’m using it. It may crash at shutdown.

I did not have this issue on Big Sur.

As it was only Music that was showing these symptoms, no other applications were unresponsive, I stopped running Music. And this past week (small sample set and of course I just jinxed myself) no crashing.

As to music, I run it on my iPad Pro, airplayed (is “airplay” really a verb?) to my stereo system.

Very frustrating.

1 Like

Hahahahaha.

Way back we had a intermittent issue where the internet connection from our office to the world would drop. It would happen some mornings, a support call would be placed, and a technician dispatched. And by the time they arrived the issue had resolved itself.

It turned out that the connection box was not moisture tight. And on humid days moisture would condense, short things out, and then dry up as the sun warmed it up.

That was a fun one.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Sorry, missed this back in Nov. It’s my iMac Pro, all stock inside.

Well, the crashing has stopped, but the cause is unknown.

I first disconnected everything, even the Ethernet cable. The crashing stopped. Since then, I’ve been adding things back, waiting a day or so, then adding something else.
As of now, everything is reconnected, though not in their original configuration, and Monterey hasn’t crashed when idle (or at all) since I began reconnecting things.

I don’t like this; years in field service taught me when things just “go away,” they can just “come back.”

My fingers are crossed for you. :crossed_fingers:

Were you sure that it was a hardware issue? I ask as you do not note any software changes which might have occurred.

Another possibility was an issue with a hardware connection that was ‘fixed’ by disconnecting and reconnecting.

Regardless, it is cool you are up and running. Here’s hoping things stay stable.

1 Like

I saw you mentioned issues with Clean My Mac. I assume you uninstalled it? It caused all of my intermittent issues with Big Sur and Monterey. Now that it’s gone, my Macs are running fine.

No, just trying to eliminate any USB or TB weirdness. Some people mentioned hub problems and the like.

No, working fine for me.

No software changes that I’m aware of between unplugging everything, then plugging back in on stages over a few days.
I may have connected things differently, such as not connecting my usb hub to the CalDigit dock.

An update.

As it seemed that it was the Music app that was causing my issues, I updated to macOS 12.2 mainly for the new Music app.

And for the first few days all was good. Music was and is responsive while keeping it playing all day while I’m working form home.

But in the last two days I’ve had hard crashes. Complete system reboots. So it is back to running Music on my iPad. And we’ll see how it goes.

Bummer.

It’s not all kittens and meadows though.
Random drive disconnects.

I also noticed more random crashes in the last 6 weeks or so. From the crash report, I found that it was due to remnants of Acronis True Image that I have deleted. Ultimately I had to download the cleanup tool from the developer. Hopefully this will stop further crash

1 Like

I get crashes on waking from sleep quite frequently since installing Monterey. Research indicates this could be due to having an external display connected. I use the machine lid closed most of the time, so have not experimented with disconnecting the display yet.

1 Like

Well, I haven’t been running Music on my Mac for for a couple weeks now.

And yesterday I had the first crash in awhile when I was shutting down for the night. And the system rebooted due to a crash.

:man_shrugging:

Update 2-28-2022.

The crashes have become more frequent. Multiple times this past week when I shut down for the night the system spontaneously reboots. The reboot goes fine. But should I shut down and then restart, I get “access required” messages for a number of items, all of which have access enabled in System Preferences. Toggling one fixes them all.

And earlier today the system rebooted apropos of nothing. I wasn‘t actively working on the system and it just shut down and restarted.

Very :rage:.