Moom 4: A Major Upgrade to the Moom Window Manager for Mac

I just updated to Moom 4 and I love, love, love the hover move (set to Globe key) and resize (set to Shift+Globe) actions. Worth buying Moom just for this.

1 Like

I’m went ahead and bought Moom just to have it, and to support its future development. It’s always been an enticing app. But truth be told, I managed years ago to get everything set up the way I wanted using BetterTouchTool (which can do all the hover mode stuff, too).

I use Control + Option as my hotkey for all window management. This works for keyboard shortcuts (eg, Control + Option + F for fullscreen, Control + Option + C for center, Control + Option + <Left Arrow> for left justify, etc.) as well as for trackpad shortcuts (Control + Option + <trackpad> to move window, Control + Option + Shift + <trackpad> to resize window).

With BTT, I even have a “finger cascade” on the trackpad (1-2-3-4 to right justify window, 4-3-2-1 to left-justify window) and other trackpad gestures to zoom the window, throw the window, etc.

These tricks are so effective, and so ingrained in my motor memory, that I’m not sure how exactly Moom will fit into my workflow.

I hope Apple notices the new version of Moom and offers to buy it at a very lucrative price, incorporating it into macOS. It’s arguably the way window management should have always been!

1 Like

I have the same set up, but using Keyboard Maestro. And I have Stream Deck buttons dedicated to help me move windows at a touch the button.

Sorry for the delay in response, was out and about over the weekend.

The version I’m using is the up to date version - that’s what Check for update tells me. I have been testing all your suggestions as well as revoking accessibility permissions and having them set again. All the time tested with quitting the app and or restarting the Mac, but nothing helped.

Then the last test: I moved the original Moom 3.xx app out of the application folder so I only have one Moom app inside there - again, for the trial I wanted to keep my previous Moom close by.
Anyways, that did the trick for me. Since then the new Moom version works like a Charme and I’m a happy camper (or tester :blush:). Apparently macOS doesn’t seem to like it if there are too Moom apps inside the application folder?

Maybe this trick may help some others that encounter the same hiccup😊 . Thank you so much for your quick help here again, highly appreciated.

1 Like

One of Moom 4’s standout features is the ability to save and restore window layouts. This is particularly useful for those of us working across multiple monitors or juggling different projects throughout the day.

@MacSparky David, do you mind elaborating more on this? One of my pet peeves is that every time the Mac wakes up from sleep, my windows in a multi monitor set up will get jumble up. Are you saying that Moom will be able to restore the windows to the right monitor?

@topre in the customizable list of actions, you can move windows to other screens. I haven’t tested it because I don’t have two monitors, but I’d expect Moom 4 to deliver on this.

1 Like

Moom can save an arrangement of open windows, and set that arrangement to auto-trigger on display layout change. Save such an arrangement and set it to auto-trigger when the number of displays matches the number you have, and that’s exactly what it should do.

-rob.

2 Likes

The one area of conflict at the moment is that you can’t use our snap and macOS’ snap at the same time—theirs takes precedence. But the built-in one can be disabled.

-rob.

@rob_griffiths Hi and thanks for participating in this thread.

I currently use an app called Stay by Cordless Dog. Alas, it appears to be abandonware, and is slowly starting to fail.

My use case is to open an application, Stay would automatically recognize it, and then position it as I had previously configured. Does Moom have similar functionality?

I have tried more window managers than I can remember (and moom was obviously one of them, one of the better ones) but the only ones that solved my messy desktop was yabai, but I ended up uninstalling it because of a nasty bug (which has apparently been squashed now). Amethyst was a close contender but was also uninstalled for reasons I don’t remember. Might have been related to multi monitor setup.

Does Moom 4 in sny way move into the direction of yabai? By that direction, I mean automated tiling, which, I believe was the best way for me to stop windows from piling up on top of each other.

The advantsge of tiling over what most window managers do is that you don’t have to set up various layouts that you can then activate. Everything just snaps into place, regardless.

This, itself, is the price of entry for this app for me. I spent hours in total for lost productivity arranging the windows back to the right monitor every morning when I wake the Mac. It got to the point that I had changed my Mac to never sleep, just show a blank screen as screen saver. This will help me save energy too. Thanks Rob, for the explanation.

It does not, as we don’t monitor app launches. However, it’d be pretty trivial to write a Shortcut, AppleScript, or Keyboard Maestro macro that would combine the two actions. In AppleScript, you could launch the app and apply the relevant saved layout:

tell application "Acorn"
	activate
end tell

tell application "Moom"
	apply layout "Acorn setup"
end tell

Keyboard Maestro would be even better, because it has an “application launched” trigger, so the action in the macro could just be the second part of the above AppleScript, which would trigger the saved layout when the app launches.

I’ve added your request to our possible features list, though—so maybe it’ll be possible in a future release.

-rob.

2 Likes

It’s been requested and is on our list, but here’s the big gotcha with automated tiling…

Apps can have minimum window sizes as well as maximum window sizes. Unfortunately, the values for those two limits aren’t available to other apps; only the app itself knows its limits.

In order to do auto-tiling, we’d have to resize a window, then compare it to the space we were trying to put it into. If it didn’t fit, that means we either hit a minimum or a maximum window size, and now we either have to try to move it somewhere else entirely, or live with a window that might be hanging off a display edge or have huge empty space next to it.

If we built a database of apps and window sizes as we went, this would get better over time, as Moom learned about your apps’ size limits, but it still wouldn’t necessarily ever be perfect.

The feature may make an appearance someday, but only if we can make it work well for everyone, and not have a lot of visual ugliness as it tries to make windows fit.

In the interim, one of the better features of Moom 4 (in my opinion) is its ability to save a layout that applies to any open windows. Set up one layout for four or five or however many windows you normally have onscreen—you can use TextEdit or any app you like. After saving the layout, change the pop-up below the saved layout to “any windows:”

Assign the layout a hot key, and you can then arrange (in this example) the five frontmost windows with a keystroke. It’s not auto-arranging, but it’s wicked fast and cleans up a messy layout with a quick keyboard shortcut.

-rob.

2 Likes

@rob_griffiths if you could demo that in a short video, that would be awesome for the above window arrangement with the shortcut.

Hmm, I can’t link to our site, not sure why—the forum says “not allowed to link to that host.”

So … go to the many tricks dot com slash moom page, and then scroll down to the “Save Layouts of Any Windows” section, and watch that video.

Is that what you wanted to see?

-rob.

1 Like

Apparently I can’t answer user’s questions here with links to our site, or even example code snippets? I’m not sure why not, as I’m answering a direct user question, but I apologize if I’ve violated any rules—just trying to answer the questions that have been asked.

-rob.

4 Likes

I use the “save a layout” method with 4 windows on a Panorama X database and it works great. :grinning:

For those interested in the answer, here it is:

You asked about Stay, and I tried to post this, but it shows as being suppressed as spam? … anyway, here’s what I wrote:

It does not, as we don’t monitor app launches. However, it’d be pretty trivial to write a Shortcut, AppleScript, or Keyboard Maestro macro that would combine the two actions. In AppleScript, you could launch the app and apply the relevant saved layout:

tell application "Acorn"
	activate
end tell

tell application "Moom"
	apply layout "Acorn setup"
end tell

Keyboard Maestro would be even better, because it has an “application launched” trigger, so the action in the macro could just be the second part of the above AppleScript, which would trigger the saved layout when the app launches.

I’ve added your request to our possible features list, though—so maybe it’ll be possible in a future release.

-rob.

Seems rather innocuous to me.

Cheers.

2 Likes

@rob_griffiths i suspect the reason you can’t post links or code is due to Discourse’s Trust Level. Maybe your account is still new? Maybe @ismh86 can help elevate your level :sweat_smile:

Rob, does Moom play well with Stage Manager?

Edit: downloaded it, paid for it to enjoy the early bird discount. Yes, it seems to be playing well with Stage Manager. I said that it “seems to be” because the default Layout such as “Sidebar”, “Left & Right” and “Top & Bottom” which tries to auto tile whichever windows on the main monitor can cause disorientation when it comes to Stage Manager.

In my example, I have a 3 monitors setup. In my main monitor, I have one window open, the rest are parked to the side by Stage Manager. If I chose “Left & Right”, then Moom will tile the current window to the left and tried and pick another (seemingly at random) opened window from a different monitor to tile to the right, causing SM to zoom in and out. It is causing disorientation. I think I have to explore or edit these “Left & Right” tiling to make it works to my taste.

I have to say, I am impressed at the speed of the tiling.

Is there a way to assign a folder of layout just to one monitor? I have a monitor in portrait, one ultrawide and one 24” in landscape. Each one will have different grids.

Sadly, we know nothing of Stage Manager: We can’t tell if it’s active, open, closed, whatever. Apple gives us nothing to work with, so whatever Moom is doing is whatever it would be doing regardless of the state of Stage Manager—it’s fully invisible to us.

The “seemingly random” windows are grabbed in order of most recent usage for “any window” layouts.

You can create saved layouts that are laid out only on a given display, but there’s no way to say “only do the actions in this folder on this display.”

That’s probably the reason, my account is new as I only created it when I saw the post here.

-rob.

3 Likes