Moom 4: A Major Upgrade to the Moom Window Manager for Mac

I seem to have an issue with Palette (the menu the came up when you move the mouse to the green, zoom button) not appearing if Zoom is on Desktop1 but the application window is in Desktop2. I have to move Moom to Desktop2 and then the palette appears. I tried quiting Moom and restarting and the behavior is the same.

I’m pretty sure we can figure out what’s going on, but because it may take some back and forth and I’d rather not hijack the thread for that, please either direct message me here, or open a ticket on our system and we’ll get it solved.

When you do, please clarify this for me: I’m having trouble understanding what application window is on Desktop2 if Zoom is on Desktop1? (Again, please direct message or use our ticket system so we can keep troubleshooting out of the general thread.)

thanks;
-rob.

It should be Moom on Desktop1, not Zoom. Sorry. I will open a ticket. Thank you.

This app is interesting but perhaps too feature-rich for me. I missed the launching salt. I would have used it.

If it reassures you, I use hardly any of the features. Originally I just started with the β€œmake a window full-sized but not full screen” button because I really dislike full screen on a Mac and also I’m on an ultrawide display and it’s ridiculous. Then I noticed the same button had options for re-sizing a window to one half the display, which was useful so I used that. Then I realised I had a couple of specific areas I like to use on my display, so I set up my own options to re-size windows to those areas. Now I have a few custom views.

It was all quite iterative and it hasn’t really consumed any brain power; once I realised a slightly more custom option than the defaults offered would be useful, it only took 5 mins to set up and then it’s just a β€œclick and play” function. (I did setup the keyboard shortcuts which are really easy in the app, but I rarely use them as I can never remember. I’m fine just clicking the menu option when I need to resize!)

3 Likes

It’s exactly how I approach new software including Keyboard Maestro and Alfred. I’ve used both for almost 10 years and I’m probably just touching the surface of their capabilities. Often when I want to do something, I’ll research to see if it could be done with KM or Alfred and the proceeded to expand my knowledge little by little bit.

Here’s one more brainstorming idea for you, although you probably tried it and got shot down. Let’s say you start with the grid of dots. When you mouse-over, the dots become bigger circles. So the β€œshaded” area is not rectangular, it is essentially a mouseover of a polka-dot pattern where the window will be.

βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ β—‰ β—‰ β—‰ β—‰ β—‰ βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™

If that is still too close for comfort, you could get playful with it and allow the user to choose the glyph, like…

βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ Γ— Γ— Γ— Γ— Γ— βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™

βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ 𐩕 𐩕 𐩕 𐩕 βˆ™ βˆ™

or emojis…

βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :basketball: :soccer: :softball: :basketball: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :soccer: :soccer: :basketball: :soccer: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :soccer: :baseball: :soccer: :volleyball: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :basketball: :soccer: :soccer: :soccer: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :soccer: :tennis: :soccer: :football: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™

βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :apple: :pear: :tangerine: :lemon: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :peach: :strawberry: :blueberries: :cherries: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :grapes: :baseball: :lemon: :watermelon: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :lemon: :mango: :kiwi_fruit: :tangerine: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ :tangerine: :lemon: :green_apple: :banana: βˆ™ βˆ™
βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™ βˆ™

Not sure if that would work, but it would be a neat Easter egg!

2 Likes

The problem is starting with a grid of dots. We can’t do that. Nor can we start with a rectangular shape at all. Hence slanted hexagons.

-rob.

Ugh :weary:

I expected that you tried that, too, but I was hopeful the emojis might make it unique enough.

The problem with the patent is that it covers any smaller representation of the physical shape of a display, i.e. a rectangle. It didn’t matter what we used in the shape, if the shape was rectangular, the attorney we were working with advised that it would be subject to the patent.

-rob.

Been a MOOM-user for years. But with the upgrade to window management in MacOS Sequoia, I don’t know.

I only rely on MOOM for CMD+SHIFT+J to selective put the windows with the arrow keys. That’s it. MacOS will never add that kind of keyboard shortcut to this feature, unless that already is there somehow?

I’m sure someone has spotted a way to set up keyboard shortcuts with the MacOS Sequoia window management feature?

If not, Ill upgrade again for MOOM just for that