More focused macOS

I recently needed to do some writing with a couple of reference documents open. I found myself wanting to do it on my iPad so that I would be less distracted. But I needed the references open too.

So I looked at my two monitors and tried to figure out the differences, and what might help me focus.

• Crap load of windows open. Solved by opening iA Writer, Hiding others, then selecting the other two apps I needed to see.
  • Crap on the Desktop. Finder | Preferences | General and turned off all the Desktop items, then moved the few files and folders to my Documents folder.
  • Desktop wallpaper. Set it to a pleasant neutral color.
  • The Dock. Turned Hiding back on.
  • The Menu Bar. System Preferences | General | Automatically hide and show the menu bar (you have to really look for it).

Result: less distraction. Got my writing done, and am enjoying the less visually cluttered macOS experience.

2 Likes

I have a million windows and tabs open.

If you want to have focus just put the app you want to focus on in its own Space.

1 Like

:open_mouth: I don’t think I ever noticed this option. Going to give it a try to get a little more screen real estate on the laptop.

1 Like

I have a folder on my desktop called CLEAN DESKTOP. I move distracting items into that. Particularly important when making presentations. I’ve automated the cleaning by having a tag I’ve named Sticky. Hazel moves anything on the desktop that older than a day and not tagged as Sticky into CLEAN DESKTOP or sometimes to other locations depending on the file type.

I use Scrivener in full screen mode with the reference window open to the research document(s) I need. Consequently, I see nothing but my writing and the reference research I need.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. Here’s a link to a script to do the same.

JJW

1 Like

I had used this years ago but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder, I’ve re-activated this preference. It makes for an even cleaner desktop than I’d had before.

1 Like

I’ve never liked spaces, but, I just used SteerMouse to assign the back button on my Logi Vertical Mouse to be Mission Control, and space switching might work for me now. It’s really fast, don’t have to use two hands to Fn+F3, then grab the mouse again, don’t have to keep my trackpad out for swipping and remember if a space is to the left or right, etc.

If you give Spaces some time you probably won’t go back. I was a holdout for a decade. Now it’s essential for me.

1 Like

I have found utility in an app that effectively manages many of the things mentioned by others here:

You could probably script/macro many of its functions easily, but I never thought about doing so before I picked it up. I have it attached to run from a Stream Deck button, otherwise I’d never remember that it’s an option for me when I’m truly distracted.

Side note: curious content on that screenshot, @Bmosbacker! I do research in systems thinking and leadership, too, although it’s not my primary focus at the moment.

2 Likes