I recently needed to do some writing with a couple of reference documents open. I found myself wanting to do it on my iPad so that I would be less distracted. But I needed the references open too.
So I looked at my two monitors and tried to figure out the differences, and what might help me focus.
- Crap load of windows open. Solved by opening iA Writer, Hiding others, then selecting the other two apps I needed to see.
- Crap on the Desktop. Finder | Preferences | General and turned off all the Desktop items, then moved the few files and folders to my Documents folder.
- Desktop wallpaper. Set it to a pleasant neutral color.
- The Dock. Turned Hiding back on.
- The Menu Bar. System Preferences | General | Automatically hide and show the menu bar (you have to really look for it).
Result: less distraction. Got my writing done, and am enjoying the less visually cluttered macOS experience.