Mousing on iPadOS

Once I eventually feel confident enough in the quality of iPadOS 13.2(?) one of my intended use cases is at my kitchen table with the iPad in a stand and bluetooth keyboard.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bluetooth and dongle-free mouse? The dongle-free is important cause I want this setup to be as friction free as possible.

2 Likes

Same question here. Currently, I am using a old non Bluetooth mouse. I really like the on screen pointer that Apple chose. In my case, I set it to have a yellow circle around it. Really want to switch to a Bluetooth mouse though.

My trusty Logitech MX Master is working nicely. I’d get a new one if (when) this breaks, I’m sure. (BTW, it ALSO comes with a dongle, but has 3 Bluetooth channels.)

1 Like

So the use of the dongle is optional?

Mice manufacturers have still to catch up, as none of the products I’ve looked at have shown any iPadOS compatibility

How stable is iPadOS 13.1.2?

I don’t “pay for my shoes” with it so I guess what I’m really asking is have the iCloud issues, missing keyboards and other bugs been resolved?

1 Like

Yes, the dongle can be used INSTEAD of Bluetooth on a machine that may have Bluetooth disabled (like a corporate laptop, for instance). I also have used it on a machine with a buggy Bluetooth implementation that kept disconnecting. The dongle (very small USB port insert) fixed that.

I believe it comes with 2 channels only, the third device is the dongle and not Bluetooth.

Just tested, and it connected to my iPad Pro on all 3 channels. So, it definitely has 3 BT channels, even if one of them can be used with the dongle instead.

Interesting, thanks for the update. I don’t think my MX2 can do that.

Derek, the short answer is no. Still quite a few bugs in iPadOS.

Sure it can. All three of the channels can do either bluetooth or the usb wireless dongle. I have it set up with channels one and two on bluetooth and channel three on usb wireless. As I recall, Logitech makes it difficult to switch from bluetooth to usb wireless once you’ve paired a channel with a bluetooth device because they do not provide a simple reset button. I think I needed to install their Unifying software to get that to work.

Did you make sure that you told the connected device to ”forget” the mouse in Bluetooth settings? That should prevent it from reconnecting over BT and select the dongle when you press the ”connect” button.

2 Likes