MPU forum question: profile picture won't upload

@RosemaryOrchard and @joebuhlig
Somehow my profile picture for this forum has disappeared, and I cannot upload a new one.
Has something changed on the backend? (if not I’ll try again in a few days)

1 Like

Interesting that your avatar appears in your person icon on the list of topics (e.g., on the Latest tab) but not on your person card on your postings. And that seems to be the case with many readers’ avatars – lots of generic grey bust icons in views, now.

1 Like

This seems to be a holdover from when we migrated a lot of the files to cheaper storage to save space on the server.

In your profile you should be able to switch to the image from your Gravatar, and then back,

1 Like

@RosemaryOrchard I’ve tried, but it doesn’t work.

Looking at my profile the picture is present in the profile, yet does not show in the interface (as @anon41602260 also highlighted)

When I view your profile your picture is not present for me. I think @joebuhlig is going to have to handle this one!

Suddenly a whole bunch of avatars have gone blank for me as well … including my own.

Seems to be getting increasingly worse. In the top 5 “Latest” posts just now, 50% of the avatars are blank.

Yup. I’ve been looking at this type of page for weeks now:

I could see my avatar in my profile but nowhere else. I just uploaded it again, so now there are two copies in there. And I can see the avatar (Prof. Clammie) again.

I would try uploading again, perhaps after all the usual activities: restarting the browser, restarting the Mac, etc.

I can pretty confidently say from experience, these activities don’t fix this particular issue.

It was the same for me. Yesterday, I deleted it and reuploaded the picture and so far it seems to have solved the problem for my profile.

Yep – it worked for me.

I guess some other people are not having much luck with this, though.

Just tried again with a different image, and it seems to have worked. Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

not for me unfortunately…

1 Like

Same here. No luck reuploading.

I’ve noticed over the past couple weeks that my avatar and many other users avatars are not loading when on the site (mobile or desktop), just showing the standard person silhouette. Some are people I know who used to have them to include @MacSparky now show like this.

I was able to reupload mine and it now appears again but is this an issue similar to when the forums launched and people were having issues uploading avatars where the servers couldn’t handle them?

Some related discussion here:

Should have search better. :man_facepalming:

Merged the threads.

Joe is aware of it and looking into it.

3 Likes

I lost mine recently and couldn’t re-upload it.
I then made a copy and tried again, but failed.

I then resized it down to 512 pixels and it worked. Is @ismh messing with us?

4 Likes