Music/AirPlay hand-over rules?

My typical music listening situation is: Music playing via the Music app on my iPhone 13 Pro (iOS 17.4.1), AirPlayed to a pair of original HomePods (also running the latest OS).

Siri, sometimes (being Siri), takes too long to skip a track or change the volume — or maybe I just want to see the album cover or lyrics on my phone — but the phone has become disconnected from what’s playing on the HomePods. It’s displaying a different track, or maybe the same track but its playback-timeline control isn’t moving, and the play/pause/volume controls no longer adjust the HomePods the way they did initially.

I can’t figure out any rules for when this might happen, though. It doesn’t seem to be simply a question of time, or whether the phone’s gone to sleep (it’s usually sitting on a Qi-charging desk lamp).

I’m not even saying I want to change this behaviour. I’d to start by understanding it.

1 Like

I feel your pain here. I have a bunch of HomePods and they all seem to act differently when trying to play music to them form various devices. This seems to still be pretty inconsistent no matter if you are using the latest iOS and OS or not.

1 Like

It’s pretty frustrating, isn’t it? If I could, I’d leave the controls on the phone at all times but, at this point, I’d settle for understanding its behaviour.

1 Like