My first mechanical keyboard

Sure thing! I’ve shown this before. My 1989 Northgate Computer Systems OmniKey/102. Need I say I wouldn’t consider anything else!

On a whim I just checked for used ones. $275 on Ebay. It cost $100 when new in 1989, which would be $210 in 2020 dollars.

7 Likes

I’m kind of the opposite of you. I’ve been using mechanical keyboards for about 15 years a and now I find out they are a huge thing. Definitely DO NOT check out the r/MechanicalKeyboards subreddit or you’ll be spending your weekends soldering :smiley: :keyboard:.

My Keychron K6 will be arriving tomorrow. This will be my first non-traditional keyboard layout that I’m going to try using full time. Hopefully it won’t take me two months to adjust.

4 Likes

For me it’s a matter of accuracy and efficiency performing my job (macOS/iOS software engineer). My company supplied a 2019 MacBook Pro and I absolutely cannot type on that keyboard with any accuracy. I get a lot of stray characters since the action is so light. I have never had that problem with any other physical keyboard. I probably don’t type as much as people who write in English all day, but accuracy is paramount in programming languages.

1 Like

I too recently got one and I am a big fan. I bought the Matias Laptop Pro and I am very happy with mine!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the video: will definitely check that out. I type all day (fiction writer) and I’ve never seen religion with mechanical keyboards, and that makes a part of me sad as I’d love to geek out over keyboards :grin:
And thanks @Timo for the feedback!

3 Likes

@anon85228692, honestly, if you’re happy with your set up avoid threads like this. I think a lot of it is self-fulfilling, expensive hype… but it is easy to get sucked in.

This is my low profile Drop (née Massdrop) Alt. The Alt has hot-swappable keyswitches, so under the modifier keys are clicky Kailh Bronzes and under every other key is a tactile Kailh Copper switch. The space key is a Hako Royal True, just for fun. I installed MK Ultra foam inside, too. Oh, and those novelty keys in the corner are Deep Fields from PrimeCaps—Canadian made! :canada:

A quick review: for the price the build quality isn’t what it should be. I can hear an infinitesimally faint buzz from the LEDs when they’re on full blast, and the keyboard suffered a bit of ping before I installed the foam.

But now that it’s all set up, I love it. It takes up such a small amount of real estate and it’s a joy to use. Someday I might switch up the keycaps but it’s hard to find a set that isn’t too tacky.

I previously had a Blademaster Pro, which was incredibly functional but too gamer-y and took up too much space. I also had a Varmilo VB87M, which was nice but I still wanted something smaller. The Planck EZ I briefly owned was wonderfully small, but I couldn’t get used to the ortholinear layout:

I don’t usually have this kaleidoscopic lighting on, but I might as well make it a party:

Motion-Still-2020-07-31 3

All of this is actually Logitech’s fault. I was so excited to get the Logitech Craft a few years ago, and it really was a much better experience than the Magic Keyboard I had been using before—but the damned spacebar chirped. I returned three before I gave up, but it was too late. I wanted something different from the Magic Keyboard. Thus began this woeful journey.

Edit: before anyone asks, the leather+walnut wrist wrest is from Grovemade.

4 Likes

Wow! This is great! Thanks for showing us.

This is so very beautiful and awesome! Thanks for showing us.

(I think I’m safe. Just went through a few videos on YouTube and I haven’t heard any switch that didn’t instantly turn me insane! :smile:)

5 Likes

Look for something with the Cherry MX Silent Red switches. I think the normal reds are extremely quiet, but I’m used to my Code keyboard with Cherry MX Green switches.

1 Like

This was just posted to one of the keyboard blogs I read. Quite apropos for this thread.

https://www.gomechanicalkeyboard.com/lists/best-mechanical-keyboards-under-30/

1 Like

Like @NiranS, I recently switched over from my long-used Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard, to an Ultimate Hacking keyboard. Brett Terpstra wrote about it here.

It took some getting used to, but I am very glad I made the switch. Mine is unfortunately the Windows version, as I bought it second-hand, but I plan on buying a second one for the office, whenever we actually return! Still deciding between a Mac specific version, or blank keycaps.

The add-on thumb clusters are hopefully going to be ready soon – will go for the extra keycluster on the left (which includes a mini-trackball) – and the trackpoint on the right.

I run mine in tented mode, and the palmrests – whilst not cheap – are really nice!

That all being said, this is the MPU forum afterall – I have had endless fun playing around with the Agent software, to add plenty of functionality through the different layers. I am not there yet, but can eventually see me adding entire Keymaps for specific applications. As it stands, I am already triggering a host of KM and BTT macros using the keyboard’s “function” and “mod” layers.

Lastly, the “mouse” layer works surprisingly well for when I don’t want to take my fingers off the keyboard.

3 Likes

Wow. You have made me so happy that I only spent $25 on the Keychron wrist rest!

3 Likes

Hah. At least I have managed to avoid buying their mouse pad (thus far…)

3 Likes

And I thought $25 for a piece of wood was a bit of a rip off from Keychron but grove made has taken it to a new level :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks Brad, enjoyed the video, and it was beautifully produced. I feel vindicated in my rash purchase :slight_smile:

I think some of the ‘arguments’ apply elsewhere, for example in photography, where I always hated using tripods until I finally caved and bought a beautiful carbon Gitzo…

1 Like

You’re welcome! I agree!

I’m almost too embarrassed to point out that this still comes in under that of the UHK palm rests… Apparently, beech is a really nice kind of wood… :man_shrugging:

Does this have Alps switches?

My goal was not a mechanical keyboard, I “just” wanted an ergonomic keyboard where the rows are not staggered but the columns.
Turns out, this is quite specific, and you immediately are in mechanical keyboard land.
Now I have a Kyria.
And as i was already quite far down the rabbit hole (though as usual it still goes waaaay deeper), I am now also using a crazy custom layout.

3 Likes

Nice! What palmrests are those?