Help me with my Christmas list → custom external keyboard

I love the Dygma Raise. It can be a normal keyboard and split or tent. I think it’s great to slowly move to an ergo setup. The built in wrist rests are also perfect, at least for me.

1 Like

Another tweak: there is the option of adding o-rings to control how the switch bottoms out. This is helpful ergonomically, providing a little cushion for your fingers at the end of travel, and reduces the clack sound that some keys make.

o-ring kit

Some people lube their switches and/or stabilizers, but I haven’t seen the need myself. I believe Krytox 205g0 is the lube of choice.

That is a nice looking keyboard, with a great tenting system.

I had a Planck EZ.

I adored it. But, after four weeks of use, I still wasn’t up to my QWERTY typing speed. (I don’t know if that’s just me, or maybe typing speed is a factor—I’m at 120+ wpm on QWERTY.) humblebrag, I know

I also disliked switching from non-QWERTY to iPad and iPhone—swapping between QWERTY and ortho setups made me feel off-kilter.

So, I sold the Planck EZ (via Reddit’s excellent Mechanical Keyboard Market). The recipient is still quite happy with it—I was chatting with ‘em a month ago.

I dream of ZSA (the makers of Planck/Moonlander) making a QWERTY keyboard someday, though. They are so good.

1 Like

I agree, ortho is a challenge for me too.

1 Like

After a year using the Moonlander on the desktop, my only problem with ortholinear is when I’m using a MacBook or Magic Keyboard and start typing 'x’es instead of 'c’s. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m concurrently glad and disappointed to hear this! I was hoping you loved it so I could settle this and go ahead and email Santa. Now I’m reconsidering, but of course glad to maybe not make a similar mistake. I still might go for it tho, it’s so dang cute!

It has a midi mode. It literally outputs its own music. From the keyboard!

I really wish I could’ve kept using it.

Unfortunately, the only way to know is to do a real test. Give yourself a month or more, and plan to sell it (and lose a bit of the total cost) if it doesn’t work.

Which, I know, makes for a bittersweet xmas gift.

TBH I :heart: the midi mode. It reminds me of the coolest little keyboard I had when I was a kid.

1 Like

Learn the DVORAK layout, then you can mistype different letters. I am using a Moonlander with a DVORAK layout.

3 Likes

I have been tempted to do this many times as a way to procrastinate on writing my dissertation.

Have a look at the Dygma Raise that @Dstackle posted. It might be the droids you’re looking for.
It also has the modifier keys in a sane position, in addition to thumb clusters.
The only thing I find missing is the inverted-T arrow keys.

It is an excellent diversion, throw in a Moonlander and then you have the incorporate an ortholinear layout along with DVORAK.

1 Like

p.s. What are you using now?

Actually, looks like @JohnAtl and I are almost on the same page. I’m using a Drop ALT.

I wrote about it over here:

@JohnAtl’s keycaps are nicer than mine. I have been avoiding the keycaps rabbit hole (for now).

2 Likes

This one’s my favorite over at Drop:

2 Likes

@beck is a bad influence.

I really like my Bladerunner-themed keycaps, but these have a really nice profile, inspired by Apple keyboards, so it feels like home.

1 Like

You are both bad influences now, to be fair

1 Like

Muwahahaha!
Click the link Ryan, click the link …

1 Like

So, what did Santa bring? And were you happy with it?

I’ve ordered a Dygma Raise, but I’m a bit worried about the transition from flat MacBook at home and cheap Dell keyboard at work to the higher OEM Keycaps and the noise…did you have trouble transitioning?

I’m considering these, which are similar to those lovely Drop ones, but XDA (so flatter) and with an extra “layer” already printed on them - I thought that might help with learning the layers and easing the cognitive load.

But whoa, what a :moneybag::rabbit::hole: :crazy_face: