My Mac keeps restarting, almost full storage a solution?

I agree. That said I don’t think my sister would honestly remember to use the Time Machine backup drive. That said if it’s a portable HD and her goal is to even plug it in once a week (that’s better then nothing) then it’s something. I think too once I decide on which Synology I’m getting I’ll see about configuring it backing up to that when she comes back for holiday breaks etc. I’m crazy about backup and at the very least back my stuff up weekly (most of my day to day changes are cloud based).

Also if I’m picking up my Mac tomorrow can I plug in my external, boot from it, then use Migration assistant to transfer my stuff? Then I can use my old Mac to do work while my new Mac gets stuff transferred over. Am I right in this thinking?

Sure. In fact I believe both apps can be used for free to make clones, but you need to pay for them to unlock incremental clones.

SuperDuper! is the easiest app for the typical person to use, so if your relative is going to meet the external for backups of the new machine that would be the app I’d recommend most newbies buy. And it’s fine for a free one-time cloning too, and what I bought for my mom to use. (I own both, and switched to CCC a while back because it offers a few features SD! doesn’t.)

1 Like

Hey @bowline and @MacGuyMI will this work? Picking it up this afternoon.

I’d start up from the new machine, perform and necessary registration, check with System Preferences > Software Update to make sure I was on the latest version of macOS, and then I’d use Migration Assistant from the new Mac/macOS to import everything from the external drive.

1 Like

So making one last final CCC backup. Will connect my external drive usb to the new Mac using the USB-C to USB adaptor. It should work right?

Alright it’s transferring

thanks! It’s been 9 years since I’ve had to for this.