My Mac keeps restarting, almost full storage a solution?

I’m using a 2010 MacBook that has an SSD and upgraded to 8GB of ram. My friend seems to think that SSD’s perform worse under increased loads so offloading stuff to an external drive should help. Thoughts? Disk utility last time I checked didn’t show anything, I’ll run it again though.

Edit: Attached are some screenshots. It’s weird that the SSD has a “container” or whatnot that shows it nearly full while the HD itself shows 50+gb available. Also shown is the error I get when I run first aid.

I don’t think the SSD being full will cause restarts. I’d look into the fan/heat and faulty memory first. That said, you do want a bit of free space on the drive. You didn’t say how full it is, but having at least 20 gigs free is the rule of thumb I use.

Yeah I have at least 20gb free. My fans do run loud, how would I check the heat and fans? I’d imagine not much would be able to be done about it given my computer is 8 years old…

You could try iStat Menus to check the temperatures of things.
It may be full of lint/dust and need cleaning out.
Are you using it on a hard surface so the fans can breath, or on something like a blanket that could block the ventilation?

Hmm, great idea. Yeah I typically have my computer on my desk though it has a pad thing that it does on top of. A good cleaning would probably help as well.

Hi, so I’ll be getting a new computer come August or September. I hope by doing so would eliminate my issues. Should I clone my current disk or do a full clean install?

Depends on how much set-up time is involved. Dealing with clone is faster. Clean install + Migration Assistant is recommended if you’ve had system problems in the past, as old system cruft could be passed along to the new machine. Good overview of the decisions involved here:

1 Like

Maybe I’ll do a clean instal when I have a break from work and just clone it to use a working system.