My One Big Gripe with Fantastical (OK two gripes)

I love Fantastical, but does this drive anyone else crazy? I have to clear out anywhere from 10-30 notifications one by one that are usually informational. “XZY accepted your meeting” The worst part is I have to repeat these steps on each device. I wish I could quickly clear everything in one step.

Bonus gripe - I wish the watch complication showed me the date :pensive:

incoming-36DE66B6-20A3-4863-89C9-584FBFA758B4

2 Likes

I hate having to clear out those ‘accept’ notifications, too.

Fantastical is so much better than using Calendar or Outlook that I put up with it, but I would definitely +1 a feature enhancement surrounding the notifications. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

1000 times yes! Or at least more granular control over notifications. E.g., I’d love to get notifications for some calendars but not others.

1 Like

Has anyone of you wrote a suggestion towards the developer?
From what I heard from @MacSparky, they welcome suggestions for improvements, or new features.

1 Like

It’s not a complete solution, but on Mac you can hold option to accept or decline all events in that view.

I want to say you need to fix excess informational notifications in your calendar provider, not the local calendar. I think I’ve done that at some point, at least.

4 Likes

Go into the Apple Watch options in the Fantastical app. You can change what the little icon is and the date is an option.

1 Like

Are you keeping your data in Fantastical, or is it syncing to iCloud, Fastmail, Google, etc. If not the host service might have a way of clearing notifications.

Those notifications are for exchange, so could be a problem that those don’t sync

Edit: bonus of having to use Exhange - I get email notifications and notifications on Fanastical to clear out :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you, but unfortunately, that option doesn’t also show the next event. I kind of want the Apple built-in method of events around the clock and the date instead of the icon.

Apple Calendar has an option to not notify on calendar actions but still allow for event notifications. You may want to dig around in Fatastical preferences for something similar.

Super annoying.

On the Mac, you could clear them all with some AppleScript. I started to cobble something together, but it cleared all notifications and the button went away before I could finish and clean it up :joy: - In case you are interested, this worked with the notification dropdown showing (after clicking the button with the number of notifications):

activate application "Fantastical"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Fantastical"
		set theCount to name of every button of toolbar 1 of splitter group 1 of window "Fantastical" whose description is "show pending invitations and notifications"
		repeat with i from 1 to theCount
			set theButton to (every button of toolbar 1 of splitter group 1 of window "Fantastical" whose description is "show pending invitations and notifications")
			set theButton to item 1 of theButton
			click button "OK" of UI element 1 of row 1 of table 1 of scroll area 1 of pop over 1 of theButton
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell
2 Likes

If you hold Option, then you can clear them all. It’s the same in Calendar. (As Cornchip said! I’m apparently not up on my reading game :joy:)

4 Likes

As always - I learn several new things when posting in this forum. Thanks all for the input! Cornchip and Rosemary were a big help on the hold “option” command on Mac that I didn’t know about. Unfortunately, I get most of my buildup on iPad and that trick doesn’t work there - yet. I’ve submitted some feedback to Flexibits and I would encourage others to do the same. Strength in numbers :slight_smile:

Edit: for reference - my feature suggestion:

On my iPad and iPhone I get a lot of built-up notifications from Exchange that are tedious to clear out. I wish I could use the Mac feature to hold “option” and clear all. Alternatively, there should be a button somewhere in the UI to clear all of these in one step on iPhone and iPad.

Lastly - It would be even easier if cleared notifications from Mac synced out to iOS devices, as right now I have to clear them on each device.

A bit of follow-up for those interested. I’ve decided to set my exchange calendar to “ignore alerts” within “Settings->Calendars->Office 365->Info Button” on Fantastical on iPad. Since I accept most meetings on my Mac or iPhone, the iPad seemed the least necessary place to get alerts.

3 Likes

How’s it working so far?

Big improvement for me at least :+1:

1 Like