Native Mac Way to Create Text Files via Finder Menu?

Is there a way to add the ability to create a new text (.txt) file via the Context menu in Mac Finder just using the Mac OS? I’m constantly creating new txt files and find it cumbersome to open MacVim and save the file to a directory that may be many levels deep within my Documents. It would be so much easier to just right-click in Finder and see an option to create a new text file. I’ve tried apps like New File Menu but they typically work once or twice after I install them and then they just stop working. Thanks.

2 Likes

I really missed this feature when I stopped using Windows machines. For awhile I used the New File Menu app out of the Mac App Store. Then I made a Keyboard Maestro macro to create a new text file with selected text in my favorite text editor app when I pressed a function key.

4 Likes

Another option is Power Menu.

It can be configured to open a variety of different file types, not just text.

2 Likes

Why don’t you explore the touch command.

touch an existing file to update the date/time stamp. touch a new filename to create an empty text file.

I’m sure you can script it, use a shortcut, etc.

7 Likes

Use touch as KirkS suggests. But then do a Get Info on the file and check the Stationery pad box.

When click on the file (to open it) it will copy the file and open the assigned editor on it.

If you don’t like the location of the new file, click the down arrow in the title bar and change the name and/or the location. If you have a favorites folder defined for the location that will speed this process. But note that you can select “Other” for the location which pops up a Finder window, and then drag the destination folder ( from another finder window) to the pop up to select it.

I will state that the Templates in Microsoft Windows is nicer, though! But it’s been a decade since I’ve used Windows.

3 Likes

This looks pretty powerful!

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks.

I am not quite sure of your workflow. but have you thought about using the Fn + Q shortcut which will instantly bring up a new instance of apple note (or append depending on how you set it up).That will not be in a .txt format, but you can highlight the text and use the Services menu to sent to the text editor of your choice.

I use it when doing research I quickly capture the info, and when I have finished just send the lot to (in my case) Notebooks.

I have tried in vain to see if that shortcut can be used for a different app - but no luck!

Thank you but that seems like too convoluted. If I were to have to do all that, I wouldn’t use it. But thanks anyway.

Fair enough.

I wish Apple would allow the ability to modify the app Fn+Q opens

1 Like

+1 for Keyboard Maestro. Making a new file can be as simple as macro with one action:

It will automatically adjust the file name to make unique names, or you can get fancy with the name using tokens/variables. It assigns the new file name to a variable you choose, which you can ignore or use to customize the macro further.

5 Likes

Nice. Looks like a new action added in v10 of Keyboard Maestro? I have v11 but apparently I haven’t been keeping up with recent improvements. I’ll need to update my approach to file handling.

This might help. I did what he said and use it all the time.I could not have created this myself but his instructions were very clear.

1 Like

That’s a nice alternative. Gary FTW again.

It works only for apps for which an empty document is a zero length file. However the cumbersome Stationery Pad approach I mentioned earlier will work for all apps.

1 Like

Just an update. The reason none of the third-party apps are working is because all of my directories are stored in Dropbox. I do this to make it easy to access all my files between my two laptops. These apps don’t seem to work with Dropbox.

1 Like

I tried Gary’s shortcut at mac most and you are correct. It does not work with the dropbox directory.
It does work with the iCloud directory though.

With Keyboard Maestro, this works for me with the current folder in the frontmost Finder window, including Dropbox and its subfolders.

You made me think a little about my test with Mac Most shortcut. I have dropbox on another machine that I keep connected. If it was local it might have worked. I will see if I can test that.
No reason for it not to work if they are local folders. Mine in dropbox were not local.

OK, I moved my shortcut to the remote machine and tried It. After giving permission to run script with automation, it worked just fine. I needed the ability to make text files easily and this was a great solution. OP should really give it a try as it is a free solution.

1 Like

Apparently FIPLAB agrees the Power Menu won’t work on Dropbox folders. They’ve issued me a refund. I am going to give the Keyboard Maestro technique a try, though.