Need Help Troubleshooting a Safari 17 Beachball

Safari 17 Hangs

Hi, I’ve got a really frustrating, intermittent problem with Safari, and I’m stuck on what to try next!

The Problem…

On opening a new link when there are no Safari windows, but Safari is already active, Safari will hang (complete with beach ball) for ~10–30 seconds.

Reproduction Steps

1. Have Safari Open but with no windows
  2. Click a link in any app, open a bookmark with Alfred/Spotlight, or enter a URL with Alfred/Spotlight.
  3. If Safari opens both the link and a blank tab, Safari beach balls for between 10–30 seconds.

Specs

• Safari v17.1 (19616.2.9.11.7)
  • macOS v14.1.1 (23B81)
  • MacBook Pro 14" (2021, M1 Pro, 32GB RAM)

Things I Have Tried…

1. Disabling all extensions.
  2. Occurs with or without network connection.
  3. Doesn’t reproduce on a test user account.
  4. Clearing website data: Settings → Privacy → Manage Website Data → Remove All.
  5. Setting Safari as the default browser (previously BetterTouchTool was) from Settings → General → Set Safari as Default Browser.
  6. Quitting BetterTouchTool just to be safe.
  7. Restarting my Mac.

Things I have noticed…

• Whenever the hang happens, I have noticed that Safari will open a second, blank tab. So although I have only clicked one link, two tabs open.
  • In Activity Monitor, the Safari process says it is using ~100% CPU when the beach ball happens. All the other Safari processes (extensions, networking SafariLaunchAgent etc) all seem normal.
  • Frustratingly, it doesn’t happen every time! It will be fine for 3-4 fresh links and then the problem will reoccur.
  • Doesn’t matter what URL I go to.
  • Doesn’t happen at the same point. Sometimes happens before the page loads, sometimes after the page loads. But always within about 60 seconds of the new window opening.
  • Clicking on Safari in the dock to open a new window, entering the URL into the address bar, doesn’t cause the fault.

Help!

I am a bit stumped about what to try next. Every time I think I’ve narrowed the culprit down, I manage to reproduce the problem. Suggestions for things to try or ways to narrow down the fault, gratefully received!
:slight_smile:

Hmm, do you get it with Safari Technology Preview? Also, when did this start?

There are some more aggressive resets of Safari available. (I don’t know if they’ll solve it.)

https://macpaw.com/how-to/reset-safari-on-mac

1 Like

Ok – excellent suggestions. Thank you!
I tried all the reset options, but to no avail.
I then moved to trying Safari Technology Preview without extensions. worked fine and then reinstalled and activated the extensions and it continues to work! :partying_face:

As for when it started I think it was around the Sonoma update but I can’t be sure. It took a while to realise it wasn’t just terrible internet.

I shall log a feedback now.
Thanks again.

1 Like

In case any Apple people come across this, which seems unlikely, but you never know…
Feedback is # FB13384650

I would suggest creating a new user account on the Mac and trying if the problem persists there.