Need help with option key on Mac

Hi, I have some keyboard shortcuts assigned to option + C, option + W etc. In text field area instead of activate keyboard shortcut, I get special characters like ç Ω. Very annoying when I write in drafts and need to move focus first to activate the action.

Maybe someone know how to disable this special characters feature? Have installed karabiner if it will makes it easier :blush:

You could use the hyperkey feature in Karabiner? I’ve never found that to trigger other characters

1 Like

Maybe change your shortcuts to not use ⌥ ?

2 Likes

I would second this. The option key is primarily made to alter the function of the part of the system you operate, and that has been special characters since the beginning of Mac OS.

Oh, thanks for information. Started to use MacBook late 2018, so didn’t knew that

1 Like

Ah, so that’s actually a good thing to know: whenever you find yourself thinking « shouldn’t it be possible to do x or y ? » try the menus with the option key down. It often reveals a slew of advanced settings.

2 Likes

Or when Apple changes things to make you try new features. For example, when tabs were introduced in finder windows, right click and “open folder in new window” got changed to “open folder in new tab.” If you hold down opt, you get “open folder in new window.”

1 Like