New Apple Mail with Ventura

a funny way to put it, but in reality, we have lowered our own expectation on the Mail app that it actually works is an improvement :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad that I can now snooze an email on my iPhone and then be reminded when I get home and use my Mail on my MacBook Pro.

I also appreciate that Mail got some attention from Apple. Pre-Ventura, Mail was the slowest app to load/open on my M1 MacBook Air. Now it opens just as quickly as anything else. I think something just needed a reset within my system, however, so I’m not sure if this—for me improvement—has anything to do with the new version of Mail.

Similarly, URL links to individual emails have become a big thing for my productivity—I often drop them in notes, tasks, etc. The catch is, the URLs would work for me consistently on my Mac, but on iOS devices, they would only work if said email was an inbox. Now the URLS are working across devices regardless of whether the message is in the inbox or not, which is really useful.

Search too seems useful. But to restate what others have said, these improvements might also be understood as “making existing features work as one might expect them to,” rather than as new features.

Great question. I’ve heard so much negativity about flag syncing in the past that I simply never tried it, but if it were to work, it would indeed be useful. One can hope…

I use flags a lot; so far, tags are working perfectly and almost instantaneously on all devices.

1 Like

Tags or flags? 20 char

Sorry, typo. Flags.

Flags were working fine for me if the email in question was flagged in Inbox. But my Macs and iOS devices were out of sync if I flagged an email in a folder. For example, if I flagged an email on my Mac in @waitingfor, it did not show up in my iOS devices Flagged Smart Folder. Then I discovered if I touch the @waitingfor folder on my iOS device, the flagged email would then show up in Flagged Smart Folder.

That led me to investigate further. I discovered I had Push set for only a few folders. When I turned on Push for more folders, the sync takes longer for iOS but the flags consistently sync. (Settings, Mail, Fetch New Data, Push, then choose the folders you want to sync “instantly”, which are almost all of them for my workflow other than “Ω archived projects”).

This is important to me because I leave MailMate running all the time. Rather than filing on iOS on the go, I had a workflow whereby MailMate would move all items flagged yellow to @waitingfor to the appropriate folder, move all items flagged blue to @actionrequired to that folder, etc. It was inconsistent so I abandoned. Now I see why. I will reenable that workflow and see how that goes.

1 Like

Not a knock on your workflow in any way, just genuinely curious - which mail clients offer this? And is it usually a hidden setting that most people aren’t aware of?

I’m pretty sure Spark by Readdle has got an option where you can set it to take you back to the mail list after any action.

Spark and Edison on iOS, that I am aware of. Spark and MimeStream on macOS. I think AirMail also has it on both platforms as I used to be a user.

My needs are simple enough I would just use Apple Mail if it had this ability.

It’s not a “hidden setting” but it is, I guess, in settings which may make it hidden to a lot of users.

Once it’s launched, it’s fast and stable. However, I’m finding that it takes a good 10-15 seconds to launch, and beachballs until the iniitial window shows up.

Granted, I have a lot of mail but this feels slower to me than Monterey.

Once it’s open, no complaints. I may need to just get used to leaving it open instead of quitting it when not using it…

@Michael_Fessler This sorted out the beachball for me. I removed the Houdahspot plugin too. Apple Mail Slow to Open on One Computer - #5 by rms

How are you doing this please? I didn’t know that was a new functionality in the update, and as it happens just this week I was wondering whether to post in the forum to ask how people are linking individual emails to “third party” software and what app I might need! If Apple has added this functionality that is amazing!

I’d like to be able to copy a link to an email into my task manager.

Not new functionality, but I do this with an AppleScript I’m pretty sure I got originally from @MacSparky . (However, you can find what I think is the same one with an explanation on how to use it from @mikeschmitz at The Sweet Setup.)

I run the AppleScript through Keyboard Maestro and have it add a link to the email in the note field of a new task in OmniFocus with the task itself using some variables from the email message (sender, subject, date). (KM does this pretty easily.)

Thank you so much for showing me this!

Just documenting this for anyone else looking.

I couldn’t get either MacSparky’s script or The Sweet Setup’s script to work in Alfred 5. I am not a coder and am basically just mashing buttons, but I vaguely recall a lot of chatter about Python and Alfred and assume it’s related to the fact both scripts reference Python? (Or I am way off piste and skewered on a tree.) Both codes trigger but don’t return a value.

ANYWAY. The Daring Fireballs script, which does not reference Python, does work in Alfred. The script is:

tell application "Mail"
    set _sel to get selection
    set _links to {}
    repeat with _msg in _sel
        set _messageURL to "message://%3c" & _msg's message id & "%3e"
        set end of _links to _messageURL
    end repeat
    set AppleScript's text item delimiters to return
    set the clipboard to (_links as string)
end tell

I created a workflow in Alfred with a hotkey as a trigger (this hotkey is tied only to Mail app so there’s no conflict):

Copy email URL

The script copies a message URL to clipboard, which you can then paste where you like.

I started tinkering to make it return a Markdown URL with the subject line as the title, but I couldn’t get it to work and I decided that was a “nice to have” rather than essential so I am moving on with my life!

Things 3 has a quick entry task add dialog that opens with a single key combo. If Mail is open it can grab the link automatically. It also presents it as plain text so I sometimes use it then copy the link to another app (e.g. Bear notes)

To add on to my previous point, I think spam filtering has gotten worse, not better. For the past 2 weeks I’ve been getting tons of spam. Like blocks of six messages, two or three times a day, coming from the same random.reg.ru address. Every time I mark those as spam, yet new messages are never moved there. I finally broke down and created a server side rule, hopefully it works. And to top it off, two emails from Apple (receipt and price increase announcement) were marked as spam!

I get round this by creating a rule such that any domain ending in .ru is filtered to junk. There is no circumstance where I’ll need an email ending in .ru. I do the same with some company domains, e.g., @xyz.com. I’ve been doing this for about two years.

This doesn’t end all spam of course but I seldom get more than 3-5 spam emails in my inbox a week. But, if I go to my spam/junk folders I have hundreds!

I admit I get a certain satisfaction in seeing all of that spam filtered away. :smiling_imp:

I’ll add, based on this thread, that I create all my rules server side so they function across devices.

1 Like

I did that, but I don’t think I got the syntax correct. Afternoon spam blast can’t back today. I might have to move the rule up the chain.

1 Like