New iPad App from Procreate: Dreams

For any iPad users interested in animation this looks fantastic:

Procreate Dreams has everything you need to create rich 2D animations, expressive videos, and breathtaking stories.

Procreate Dreams is an all-new animation app packed with powerful tools that anyone can use. Create engaging hand-drawn animations, motion graphics and enhance them with photos, videos and sound.

5 Likes

Take my money! (And at a one-off purchase of $19.99 for a fully professional animation app, it’s not painful)

I hope that some serious people are researching Procreate the company as a successful business model. I think it has a lot to teach. Instead of looking to maximise the range of use and users, go multi-platform, monetise services, subscriptions etc. it has chosen to define a particular area of work through sheer excellence and a very low bar to entry. It has millions of customers despite only working on higher-end iPads (originally pro only) and requiring an Apple Pencil and despite being so sharply focused on drawing and painting.

I’d love to see more similar examples in many other fields.

3 Likes

Procreate is a superb app. I bought it originally as a cheaper alternative to Adobe software, but honestly I think it knocks Adobe out the park. They know exactly what their product mission is and who their audience is. It sounds simple, but the number of apps that suffer from “mission creep” shows that it’s not easy for software developers to remain true to their core purpose.

4 Likes