New iPad Pros announced

Cursor seems to be great. I wonder when it will be available to the general public. iOS 13.4?

It appears the previous Pro versions will just have a larger “unused” camera opening.

2 Likes

Yes, the cursor support is in 13.4. Supposed to come out on March 24.

1 Like

I would love to hear from people planning on upgrading from current iPad Pros to the new edition. What’s drawing you?

Does anyone know if the new iPad Pro will support Google Fi data only sims? I can’t figure it out via the web site.

My current iPad is an iPad Air late 2013-early 2014 with 16GB. My main reason for upgrading is the 1TB capacity, pencil support and ability to run iOS 13. I’m stuck on 12.4.5. Extra benefits include the better cameras possibility of adding a keyboard eventually.

My one question right now is about using Google Fi SIMS in it. If the answer is yes I’ll have one on order by the end of today. If not I’ll have to think a bit but will still probably get one.

2 Likes

That free floating screen has me! Looks like a baby iMac!
The cursor stuff looks amazing, so happy to use that on my 10.5 Pro as long as I don’t have one of these beauties!

Does the new cursor support include things like cursor positioning for text editing and selecting text?

Google Fi on other devices

Answering my own question. It appears that it will work. Docs not updated for this new model but it meets the requirements of LTE bands 1 and 4 and a Nano SIM

PS decided to verify direct with Google support and the answer is yes it is supported on Google Fi

2 Likes

Yes, it supports text selection and cursor position.

2 Likes

Craig Federighi describes how the new iPad Pro cursor feature works.

5 Likes

I think I’d prefer the Apple version, even with the $200 price difference.

1 Like

I just bought a second Magic Trackpad 2 to use with my iPad when 13.4 comes out next week. I’ve been using the iPad with an external display (LG Ultrafine 4K) and a mouse using the accessibility feature, but it sounds like with 13.4 a trackpad will be significantly more capable than a mouse.

It will be especially useful at the moment since I’m working from home and my work email is only accessible on my iPhone, iPad, and the job issued Windows laptop (they have it so locked down you can’t get it on a personally owned Mac or PC).

I just listened to the latest episode of the Ruminate podcast (don’t bother, it was kind of boring) and co-host John Vorhees of MacStories said he connected his Logitech MX mouse and it worked great, but he has yet to connect a Magic Trackpad 2.

Dieter Bohn posted this short walk-through for the trackpad and gestures in iPadOS:

1 Like

Nice writeup by Jason Snell on Six Colors:

I need a good excuse to replace my iPad Pro 10.5”, and Logitech is going to make that rather difficult. :slight_smile:

Trackpad?

Looks like a great iPad and I’m intrigued by the new floating in air keyboard cover. But I don’t get why there is a trackpad. Why would I want this when I have a giant touch screen in front of me? What am I missing?

Extensive text editing is very suboptimal in its current form in iPadOS. A trackpad and cursor will make it much, much better (at least for me).

1 Like

Jason Snell, a couple of months ago:

Using a magic mouse right on my 10.5 Pro now with the public beta and I love it!!! The cursor is so smooth!!!

3 Likes