New iPad Pros announced

Myke Hurley did it on yesterday’s episode of Connected and it worked fine (except in apps that don’t use Apple’s native stuff, such as Google Docs.

Connected #286: The iPad G4 - Relay FM

My Mom, who has been iPad-only now for several years, is probably going to love this, as she uses her iPad with a keyboard 99% of the time and always used an external mouse even when she had a laptop.

2 Likes

Right, Google Sheets in Safari is still not great since I can for some reason not scroll in the sheet with the magic mouse 2.

Well my new 1TB iPad is on order, along with a pencil, 2 cases, one with keyboard and one without and an assortment of cables I will use. Bits and bobs are going to come in between 23 March and 3 April. Of course the actual iPad is the slowest to ship. :sigh:

6 Likes

This is a definite aside, but it’s curious that this video seems to be officially hosted by Six Colors. The vid’s a bit awkward, too—there’s clearly a teleprompter in use.

I was really hoping that it’d show him poke the hovering-on-the-new-keyboard iPad though. How stable can that thing be?

According to Gruber:

2 Likes

I might even believe it. Clearly separating the display from the thing you’re typing on (even a little) and removing the need to tap the screen will help. Maybe it’ll finally be possible to comfortably use this for writing in an armchair/on a couch.

The ergonomics of the higher display have gotta be better, too. Good calls all around, so long as it plays out in practice!

1 Like

It looks like the A12Z is only a small improvement over the 2018’s A12X, possibly the same chip with software optimizations and the 8th core enabled, so any workload that just uses the typical UI threads plus non-parallel app use shouldn’t notice the change. And the AR camera improvements seem very cool, but developers haven’t implemented use cases that matter to me yet. Seems like an excellent purchase for someone who skipped the most recent Pro generation, though.

1 Like

Here’s a crazy thought I had when I saw the new iPad on the new keyboard. It has overtones of what I Mac looked like. Sure, you say, they want a complementary design ethic.

But that got me wondering if maybe this is a foreshadowing of what a new iMac design might look like? Not a detachable thing, of course, but could you imagine the main computer looks like a huge iPad Pro? All the flatness and whatnot could be pretty awesome looking. Heck, we may be looking at the future ARM iMac right now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Trackpad 2 definitely works better than a mouse. Actually, it works better than a Trackpad 1 as well. The Trackpad 1 just works like a standard mouse, where the TP2 has the gestures allowed.

I also have noticed a few apps not working with all scroll functions. Such as Spark email. In Spark the two finger scrolling will not work right now.

I am hopeful. I am not one that wants the iMac change just for the sake of change. However, the one thing I don’t like about the iMac design is the lack of flexibility in adjusting the display height and angle. I really hope they address this! I’ll probably be needing a new iMac in 2-3 years, so my fingers are crossed!

3 Likes

It makes no sense to me that gestures are not supported for the Trackpad 1.

My iPad Air 2 is mysteriously starting to look a bit long in the tooth now… Must resist shiny new toy!!

2 Likes

If you hold it up to your ear, you can hear it imploring you to let it rest :innocent:

2 Likes

While it has been a slow evolution, that new trackpad keyboard is really a game changer for me. While there are a number of things in my daily workflows that can be done on iPad, there has always been a few that either couldn’t be done or were such a pain that I just had to bring my laptop on the road with me also. The last of those has improved immeasurably with the trackpad, the gestures and the pointing.

I am currently using the magic trackpad from my iMac with it, and while that doesn’t flow quite as well because it is not part of the actual keyboard, it does demonstrate the capabilities.

I will not buy the actual new iPad pro, the spec change is minimal for my needs. Like David says, the 2018 is already overpowered enough for the tasks usually presented to it.

1 Like

Apparently the new iPad Pros have a hardware disconnect for the mic based on its case or cover being closed.

3 Likes

New iPad arrived, conversion of stuff from old one to new one is proceeding normally except for contacts and calendars, see thread in tech support.

Pencil is great, more space is great and I’ve gotten it connected on the spare data SIM on Google Fi so am good to go there as well.

I do not plan on getting the new keyboard with trackpad since I hate trackpads but I will start testing with a mouse soon and do plan to get the folio keyboard.

The Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro is up for preorder on Apple’s website:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MXQT2LL/A/magic-keyboard-for-ipad-pro-11‑inch-2nd-generation-us-english

Currently showing delivery for April 21-23 in my zip code.

2 Likes

Ordered, can’t wait to receive one!

1 Like

Just ordered the Magic Keyboard!

2 Likes

Still want one, still won’t pay that much for it.

Maybe I’ll cave eventually, but Apple’s keyboard prices seem insultingly high to me. I paid for the Smart Keyboard Folio and it works well, but it’s still not worth its asking price IMO.