New iPad Update iPadOS

Hi,

I have bought my son a new iPad for Christmas, does anyone know if I can update to latest iPadOS without signing in etc to save the mess around on Christmas Day?

It’s an iPad 10th so expect it will be iPadOS 16 so will need update to latest.

Thanks

I had to prepare a new iPad two weeks ago. It came with an outdated OS and it failed to update to 17.1.1 on its own during the onboarding process, so I had to do it manually before restoring the data from the previous iPad.

It is not exactly your scenario, but it is not that big of a hassle to just skip everything the iPad is offering in its onboarding process and to only enter the stuff you absolutely do need (like having WiFi available and so on), then do the update …

Apart from that it depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve:

1. If you just want to skip the update process: as written above, do the update and you are done. If you want to have the fresh new iPad feeling being ready with the the OS but with a welcome screen and what not (the Apple onboarding stuff): just do the “prepare for sale” process afterwards - What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support. The result is a fresh iPad that is up to date (if there will be no updates until Christmas that is).

2. If you want to have no setup process left at all on Christmas, you will have to sign in anyway with the ID you have chosen to run this iPad. If your son has his own account, everything is done. If not, it has to be created and Family sharing might be a good idea: Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support - This is something that could be done beforehand, too.

Sorry, if I told you what you already knew.

I do not think that there is a process to update the OS without setting up the iPad at least to some degree. The only thing that comes to my mind is Apple’s reset process using a Mac or PC: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support. You might be better off just doing the manual update process on the iPad.

As already stated, you can update the iPadOS without logging into iCloud/entering the Apple ID (iOS devices do not need either to update the OS), but at that point the iPad is already set up to some extent and you’ll need to do a master reset anyway to get it to the “Hello” screen again. Full restore via the PC or the Mac would probably do the trick of updating without setting it up if you’re willing to try.

Perhaps let your son have the full Apple unboxing experience of a new device and update on Christmas? :christmas_tree: It’s just a quick process that iPad is going to offer anyway as you go through setup.

2 Likes

Does the “Erase all content and settings” or “Reset” options from “Settings > General” also reset the operating system? That would be my first option, updating everything with my iCloud account and then resetting the device.

No, a reset only “resets” everything but the OS. That is what I was trying to say. :slight_smile:

Sorry I didn’t read your previous response, I was trigger happy here XD

1 Like

Thanks all - as he is 10 I wanted to at least get him on the latest iPadOS before Christmas Day. Seems 17.2 may be out before Christmas so i will hold off until then. I think I will try option 1 that @Christian mentioned. Will post how it goes!

Thanks everyone for help!

Hi all.

With 17.2 out I have been through and updated. Followed the minimal login approach with my Apple ID, updated and then performed an “erase all content and settings”.

Fairly straight forward.

Thanks all for help