New iPhone from Amazon

so…I bought a new iPhone…an iPhone 12 Pro from…from Amazon…I know… I know… dont flame me…

I always buy my stuff from Apple…I know the 13 is coming out next month…but I needed the phone fairly urgently…For some reason from Apple it told me the shipping time was 10 days…I cant get to a local Apple store easily…

Anyway I was reading that Amazon is an authorised reseller…and it should all be good…and it was £50 off for the blue one…It is Amazon that is the vendor,

However I have just unboxed it…and I know it wasn’t new…The cellophane was on but…not on quite right…you know what I mean, and the phone and the box…don’t smell right…you know that smell. It actually smelt a bit like cigarettes ! The box has ©2020 on it…

Anyhow the phone actually looks ok. I have minutely examined it and there are no scratches and am just transferring data now…

One of life’s little pleasures is occasionally unboxing a new Apple product and I feel I have missed out here… However the phone seems fine…

Just thought I would have a moan…

You know that thing where you can track products based on their serial number…I might double check…can anyone remind me what that is

1 Like

If Amazon was the vendor, I’m pretty sure they will allow you to return for refund. If not Amazon, then let them know anyway.

I agree. Apple has the best out of box experience!

1 Like

Do check the serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/;jsessionid=node0nieszxntx3hi1eikzdyn2ua766862525.node0

it might give you a hint on registered sell date and remaining warranty and/or Apple Care

1 Like

I recently bought a refurb iPhone 11 from Amazon and I’ve had no issues with it at all. Second refurb iPhone I got from them. Maybe I’m lucky.

As @SpivR said, you can buy a product from Amazon or any a 100% honest and reputable seller on Amazon, and still get a counterfeit or otherwise fraudulent item, because Amazon commingled “identical” products from different sellers. Here’s a good piece from 2014 laying out how it happens (though it might be behind a paywall, depending how many WSJ articles you’ve read recently):

1 Like