New MacBook Air with Magic Keyboard Released

Some good news for those looking for an Air:

6 Likes

I’m glad they did this but I’m frustrated that I have the 2018 model.

Now it’s clear which Mac I’ll be telling people to buy, especially non-power users. I refused to recommend the last generation, I know someone who has the 2019 model and has already had 2 keyboard replacements.

I’m looking to replace an early 2015 MacBook. I’m thinking its not worth the extra $$$ for the 13" MacBook version compared to the new Air, or am I missing something?

As always it comes down to what your workload is. This page from Apple shows a line by line spec comparison of the new Air, 2 Thunderbolt 3 port MacBook Pro 13" and the 4 Thunderbolt 3 port MacBook 13". https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBook-Air-Retina,MacBookPro-13_1,MacBookPro-13_2

You will see that the Air has a lower top end clock for its i7 CPU. The display is 100 nits less bright than the MBP and the GPU is slightly (in my opinion) under-powered compared to the MBP.

That said - I really like the Air - always have since Steve pulled one out of the inter-office envelope. So unless you have really intensive CPU needs I don’t think you would go wrong with the Air. Just one person’s opinion of course. Take a look at that side by side page and see what speaks to you. Good luck with your purchase!

2 Likes

Remember, the 13 Pro still has the bad keyboard…

3 Likes

I have the same machine as you currently (well, 13", 2013 MBP). I love it, but I’m worried that it’s nearing time for a new one. At work (I posted about it here), I had an Air that I hated. As I consider getting a new machine under $1,500 price tag is way easier to take than the definitely over $2k. I’m hoping 16GB of RAM and that quad-core i7 makes a big difference.