New MacBook Pro Yayyy! But

Hi MPUers, just got the new MacBook Pro M3 Pro and loving it. However, unlike my intel MacBook Pro, it has a notch bar and it hides the icons behind it :slightly_frowning_face: . How do you all deal with it?

Also, what are the first apps that you install or any settings you specifically change?

Congrats on the new machine! Bartender will take care of the icons. Good app, worth the money.

https://www.macbartender.com/

5 Likes

I keeps showing that ā€œScreen Recordingā€ icon in the menu bar which gets annoying

For me this was fixed by Bartender 5.0.48 (and the current version is 5.0.49).

Stephen

4 Likes

Vanilla is an alternative to Bartender. Itā€™s free with basic functionality.
You can check if it does what you need. Thereā€™s a paid upgrade that unlocks more features.

FWIW, I donā€™t have any experience with Vanilla or Bartender.I have a Mac mini with an external monitor, so plenty of space for the menu bar and no notch.

I agree completely. There are free options but Bartender is worth every penny.

2 Likes

Itā€™s crazy that Apple hasnā€™t fixed this. I had turned off Bartender after Sonoma came out because I wasnā€™t ready to buy the new version (although old version still worked, for some reason I had turned it off). I forgot icons could go missing (or I assumed Apple fixed it) and it took me a good 10 minutes to figure out what had happened to my Time Machine icon. The it hit me, I turned on Bartender and there it was.

1 Like

Another +1 for Bartender.

I would also recommend being mindful when it comes to showing items in the menu bar. Sure, the notch can get in the way, but do you need all that stuff up there? (Iā€™m not judging, just saying that it can be a question to ask yourself.)