I’m moving to a new Mac Mini that has a smaller internal hard drive. I have 200 gb of photos that I want to store in a photo library on an external SSD. I could use help in checking that my thought process is sound. The process has three stages and I am not using iCloud Photos.
Old mac: MBP 2014 on Mojave
New mac: Mac Mini 2020, m1 chip on big sur
I have backed up both machines.
Stage 1 - Moving photo library from old mac to new mac
- Can I move the photo library here to the external SSD on the old mac and then connect the SSD to the new mac? I don’t know how much the photo library has changed between Mojave and Big Sur
- Otherwise, maybe I would have to import the photo library from old mac to the new mac?
Stage 2 - Photo libraries on an external SSD
- The directions on Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support seems fairly straightforward
Stage 3 - Backup
- Time Machine to backup the external SSD to another drive
- Arq to backup the external SSD to my normal backup process
Any caveats or holes in my plan?