New Moft Sit/Stand desk really does the trick

I’ve had my eye on this for a while, and checked all the YouTube reviews, but I just haven’t gotten around to ordering it until now. For $60, it’s not exactly inexpensive, but it does promise a lot, and it’s gotten good reviews. It’s a real origami kind of thing, made out of I guess plastic or fiberglass sheets coated with vinyl (“vegan leather” :roll_eyes:), with a few magnets inside it here and there. It feels surprisingly solid. All folded up, it is maybe 1/2" thick and around 9" x 11". It’s not exactly intuitive how to unfold and refold into different angles, but I imagine that’s just a matter of getting used to it.

It’s got 5 different fold up options, 4 as a wedge lift (25, 35, 45, or 60 degree angle) for sitting at the desk, or standing mode that converts it into a platform for standing at the desk. I’ve got it at the 45° position now. It lifts the screen up to a perfect height for me to sit at the desk and type from an external keyboard.

I imagine I would only be using it at either this position or the “standing desk” position. Now, keep in mind, this is not some solid metal stand, so in the stand up position, it is not as substantial as one, but after typing on it for a while, I have gotten over my concern that it would collapse or come apart. The manufacturer rates the weight capacity at 22 lbs which is quite a bit more than the oh-so-heavy /S 16" M1 MBP. This MBP actually firms up the stand a bit, so it’s hard to say how it would feel with one of those wispy Air machines. :wink: No, I’m kidding, it doesn’t take much weight to stabilize the stand. Not that it isn’t already stable, but, well you know what I mean. There is some flex to the stand for sure, but it is not distracting or concerning. The height adjustment is 10", so that may not work for some people. Based on my height of 5’10" and the height of my desk, I am comfortable using the stand up position of the Moft. As with anything though, YMMV.

I’ve never used a stand before to put the laptop into a more ergonomic typing position; I don’t know if I would use it for that, but that is apparently what the smaller angle positions are for. I can say that right now, I am already enjoying the lifted display position so that my neck is not bent over looking down at the screen. This may actually at least delay my purchase of an external screen for a while. Of course, I would much rather have a nice 27" 4k monitor, adjusted to just the right height, but for now, this is a major improvement.

One very cool aspect to this device is its easy portability. It breaks down basically into a thick folder, easily slipped into a briefcase or backpack, and essentially turns any workspace into a comfortable standing desk, whether around your house or office, or wherever one does remote computing these days.

If you’ve read this far, you might as well click on the link to see the video of all the origami action.

1 Like

UPDATE:
Apparently I had been using the Stand Up desk position of my new Moft device backwards. I just noticed on their website that they show the laptop positioned on the stand 180° different from the way I was using it. Oddly, it seems a bit less stable to me when arranged the “correct way.” It’s not unstable, but just has a little more lean to it, IMO.

¯_( ツ)_/¯

1 Like