New Shortcut Software: iCMD

iCMD is featured today on ProductHunt - looks like a very interesting alternative to Alfred and Launchbar - I have not used it enough yet to have definite opinions but looks interesting

1 Like

DĂ©jĂ  vu. iCMD reminds me of something else like that with the same approach: press a command key and it causes all objects on the screen to have a shortcut tag which you press to activate that object (click link, open file, etc.)

Now I can’t remember what that other app was.

1 Like

KeyCue.

Here’s the pop-up that just displayed for Safari:

No, it’s not KeyCue that I’m thinking of. Just watch 10 seconds of the iCMD video and you’ll see what it does.

But anyway, iCMD looks nice – looks like a good candidate for Setapp

Looks the same as CheatSheet

1 Like

It looks like Vimium or Vimari, but for the whole desktop, not just the browser.

2 Likes

Was it Vimac? https://vimacapp.com

4 Likes

Yup. That’s a free clone, but in discussions we learned it’s not as well-developed, and doesn’t cover nearly as many apps as KeyCue… and you and I discussed this two years ago! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep, but it’s another one that might be what quorm remembers.

KeyCue is great software. I recommend it.

did anyone end up using iCMD? Any good?

It is not superior to Alfred for regular shortcuts that you use

Its advantage seems to be for those who strongly prefer a keyboard over GUI; you can drill down through GUI menus using the keyboard only.

Personally I concluded that the GUI is more efficient, but I know some Mac users (especially developers) who very much want to control everything via keyboard -that seems to be the key target user for iCMD.

1 Like

Even though I’m not a (practicing) dev I still would like to stick to the keyboard as much as possible. I hate the imprecision of a mouse/trackpad. However, iCMD doesn’t seem to have a trial. Bummer.

1 Like

An improvement on Keycue is Paletro (Paletro on Setapp | Quick access to app menu commands) that I recently discovered. It doesn’t just help you find the shortcuts (through a spotlight like interface) but also invokes them.

Quicksilver used to have something like this ages ago. This looks like a slicker implementation.

1 Like

Did anybody stick with ICMD in the end?
I have started to use it again and I am trying to understand how to make use of the most advanced features such as the clickmode toggling but the app does not come with any help material.
As pointed out above, the experience is similar to a vimari/vimium but system-wise and not in the browser. There is also a palette tool to invoke menu bar items but I prefer Paletro for that.
Still, to browse in keyboard-only mode, iCMD is an interesting tool.
I am currently trying to find out how to open links in the background (click with a modifier).

To be frank I just retried Vimac and the UI controls via the keyboard are almost better - although, it does not come with a command palette like iCMD.

trying Vimac now. seems pretty good

Also a fan of Vimac.

I do go long patches without triggering it, and then I sometimes forget what the app is called, and spend a few moments trying to remember the name to check if it is running — but when I use it, it really works like magic.

It’s not always a case of saving that much time (although it can be way quicker) — but more a case, for me at least, of staying in the “flow” of keeping the fingers on the keyboard…

It’s the closest replacement I have found to Shortcat app, which did the same — but started to become a bit buggy of late. Vimac also offers scrolling mode, which is nice.

As an aside, like Shortcat app, Vimac also sometimes serves as the final piece of a automation-macro puzzle where even KM battles to interact with the UI.

[EDIT:]

Oh wow. Ok, spent a bit more time looking at Vimac, and realised a few things that I had missed earlier, that will make this far more useful!

1.) Won’t forget the name after the penny dropped that it is presumably a contraction of “Vim” and “Mac”.
2.) Did not realise the overlay can be triggered simply by holding down the [space] key, over and above whatever other keyboard shortcut one uses.
3.) Also set-up a simple keybinding (“zx”) to trigger the overlay.
3.) The shift/command/option key options for mimicking a right or double-click of, or move to, the UI point that is highlighted, is super useful. Especially when coupled with the control-N or control-P to move up and down in the right-click sub-menu, to select items.

Overall, fairly consistent mechanism to keep fingers in the “flow” of typing, in those instances when the usual shortcuts/menu selection options are not available/viable.

2 Likes