Newbie Mac backup question

I am still running macOS Monterey on my 2021 M1 MBP, however I am ready to take the plunge and upgrade to Ventura.

Regarding Time Machine backups, do you recommend keeping them after you begin using an upgraded OS? Would I be able to use those files to downgrade back to Monterey if I should want/need to? Is there another type of backup I should have in addition to TM? Can I extend my Ventura TM files in the remaining space on my Monterey TM drive?

Do you recommend simply upgrading the OS or doing a clean install?

Sorry for the remedial nature of these questions. I’m not a “power user” yet, but hope to be one day with help from more experienced users! Thanks for your willingness to help.

Regarding Time Machine backups, do you recommend keeping them after you begin using an upgraded OS?

Yes. The most important thing you’re backing up is your data, not the system files.

Would I be able to use those files to downgrade back to Monterey if I should want/need to?

Probably not.

Is there another type of backup I should have in addition to TM?

Yes. You need some kind of offsite backup. Search the forum for “3-2-1”.

Can I extend my Ventura TM files in the remaining space on my Monterey TM drive?

Time Machine will pick up right where it left off.

If, by “clean install”, you mean a nuke and pave (i.e. reformat your ssd and reinstall your apps from scratch, this is usually done in response to some weirdness in your current system, or perhaps if you feel the need to clean house. If neither of those apply I would recommend upgrading.

5 Likes

I don’t recommend one way or the other, but I always simply upgrade: I moved to the Mac to avoid hassle and it has disappointed me less than any other OS/hardware combination :slight_smile:

For what its worth, I simply upgraded my M1 MacBook Pro 14” to Ventura. It was very straight forward.

I have absolutely nothing to add after this :joy:

1 Like

For a laptop that is ever used on its own (i.e., not on a desk plugged into stuff), I’d definitely recommend some sort of “wireless” backup. The easiest is Backblaze, which also has the advantage of being off-site.

When I do big system changes, I make a clone, too. That should make it easier to roll back to the earlier operating system, and it can be much faster as a source for Migration Assistant (faster than an Time Machine backup, that is).

3 Likes

I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) over Time Machine for most cases. I still use TM in addition to CCC. Before any significant OS upgrade I always verify that I have a good CCC backup. At present I maintain 2 CCC backups, 1 TM backup, and 1 BackBlaze backup. I also test the backups at least once per quarter.

4 Likes

Curious. Where do you send the 2 CCC Backups and the 1 TM Backup? All to USB drives, or to a NAS, or both?

One goes to a SSD velcroed to the back of the iMac. The other goes to a drive attached to a Mac Mini server in my basement. The Mini also houses the TM drive. I have 2 OWC JBOD enclosures with 4 and 8 tb drives. The Mini also holds a media drive with all my CDs and DVDs ripped copies. My wife’s iMac is also backed up to the Mini.

The Mini is the only computer backed up to BackBlaze so I only pay for one backup. I do not backup the TM drive to BackBlaze as that would not be a useful copy. I haven’t needed the BackBlaze backup but have used the CCC backups. I still test them all regularly.

2 Likes

Thanks. Pretty much exactly what I do with CCC, TimeMachine, BackBlaze, and quarterly testing–but have two USB drives “velcroed”–seen too many USB failures in my time on the planet. I’m also experimenting with the new Dropbox Backup (not a sync, far as I can tell) service. There is a possibility I can cut down on subscription costs by dropping BackBlaze as I use Dropbox for a lot of things already that it can now perhaps do what I need for backup too. Under considering for the time being. Over the years CCC has let me be more specific about what gets backed up where, and due to that fiddling have created too much complexity. Along with trying Dropbox for Backup, doing baby steps to simplify also, but retaining the 3-2-1 philosophy.

When you say you “test them all regularly”…are you actually restring the data from the backup to your computer? How do I “test” it?

I just choose files at random and try to recover them from my backups and verify that they’re not corrupted by opening them. This gives me some basic assurance that the backups are being done and that the archives are not corrupted, and (just as importantly) keeps me current with my restore processes when it’s not a crisis.

1 Like

For BackBlaze I pick an important folder and use their web interface to download a zip file of the folder. I then restore it to a temp location and verify that all the files are usable. For the local CCC copies I just make sure I can read them.

The real test is needing the backup due to some type of failure. I’ve had 3 cases when the backup was needed. One was a failed OS upgrade, the second was when the GPU died on my MBP, and the third was when Dropbox decided to delete all my wife’s files when we were trying to get rid of the service. All my restores were successful.

1 Like