Newton email app / service is being shut down

This reminds me of Ello’s Artificial Scarcity.

1 Like

Just found out that Newton mail is no more as of Sep 1st. It is so sad loved this email client. I have used Spark and airmail liked them both but I need the read receipts that Newton gave me have employees that like to say “O I did not get that email” trying Canary mail. Is there any other email clients that have read receipts that anyone would recommend? Need something for MacOS and iOS.

You can ask them yourself on their website.

This is my biggest risk/fear factor and have been burned (as many of has) of putting our most valuable asset (time) into a software app only to have it shutdown due to bad business models or acquisition by large company. i.e. the demise of Sunrise Calendar to Microsoft.

Now with the move towards the Cloud there is more at risk with your data becoming locked down due to a proprietary format.

I am of the opinion that we have come full circle being old enough to remember the bad old days where you had a dumb terminal connected say to a VAX running various “cloud” based applications and at the mercy of the IT administrator.

Personally, I am changing my workflows and apps to pull more data out of the cloud into a universal format and having this locally available using cloud based storage as part of my backup scheme.

As others suggest in this thread converting emails to PDF’s then send them to a reference type of software such as DevonThink would serve to mitigate risk of information loss or inaccessibility.

My immediate concern is all the information that I have stored in Evernote and putting into place a good workflow to extract the data

Oh jeez, this is bad news. For personal email I use gmail and always via the web these days on my MBP, but with the Gmail app on iOS. For work we use Exchange and I just didn’t love Outlook on either iOS or desktop, so I was using Newton, but alas… I guess I’ll switch back. It did annoy me that it was only sort of a “front-end” to Outlook - I still had to log into the web version of Outlook to create/edit rules and whatnot.

I’ve never 100% gotten used to browsing people’s availability using Apple’s Calendar when scheduling with works folks, so going fully back to Outlook will at least be easier on that front.

I think it’s upwards of $25/month.

I too signed up for Superhuman but it needs to have Evernote and Things integration for me to buy into it.

I’ve bounced between several to see if I could get what I want. I looked at Newton, but the price made it a dead issue. I tried Apple mail (with all the extensions), Spark, Canary (included in Setapp, but you have to pay for iOS), and Airmail 3. For now, I’ve settled on Airmail. The lack is smart folders that will aggregate across accounts (I have 6-7 accounts). The developer said they would look at that. I also use Sanebox, and would like to get to a point that I could use rules in combination with smart folders to replace Sanebox.

My suggestion is try Spark first. It’s entirely free and if it does what you want, you’re set. Then maybe give Airmail a try.

If it is its dead in the water. If Newton couldn’t survive with their subscription costs they have zero chance.

1 Like

Well they finally got back to me.
They want $29/month
Not even going to look at it…

SeeYa

1 Like

was anyone able to get a partial refund? I am waiting to hear as i thought i remember the company was gonna try and honor some refunds… with the deadline looming still hoping :rage:

" We will be publishing instructions to claim your pro-rata refunds no later than September 18th, 2018"

Yeah, right.

Another broken promise.

I owe Newton an apology. I have received a pro rata refund via the Apple store.

Good on them.

Odd how no email from them though.

Surprised no posts about the reboot - they announced today the product is back to the extent you can re-use your old credentials and be back functional

At first I was excite but than I was like nahhh… I finally got used to Spark and I enjoy it – its FREE and I’m still a mending my heart from Newton shutting down last year-- Im NOT resubscribing – I did miss it but I pride myself on not switching tools just bc… so unless Spark goes downhill - I’m good!

https://twitter.com/newtonmailapp?lang=en

I didn’t comment because I’m cautious-to-wary: the company shut down because after carefully examining revenue streams and a buyout they couldn’t see a way forward.

… until Andy Rubin, the father of Android, and the sex harasser who got a $90 million payout to quietly leave Google, and then proceeded flamed out with his next company’s Android phone, bought Newton.

How is Rubin going to pay for (and monetize) an email app that couldn’t be profitable previously? See why I’m wary?

Interested in changing my email app. What is the cost?

Visit the website. $50/year.

Gotta say I’m very wary. Loved Newton but felt badly burned last year

Well since Rubin seems to do all his actions by email it would seem like he would want a reliable service.

Seriously, how many times up and down for this app. I am sure Rubin has learned a lesson and a sexual harrassment suit could spell trouble to what effectively is a startup again.

I’m glad that they were able to get away from Essential and are still alive to this day.