Nitro PDF Pro added to Setapp

Just noticed this. FYI for all those with Setapp.

3 Likes

Is it just PDF Pen rebranded as Nitro?

Nitro bought PDFpen from Smile Software in 2021.

Looks like they did. Even the AppleScript library, so folks who, like myself, rely on PDFPen to OCR files on Hazel rules should be fine for longer.

Update: Just popped Hazel to make the change to my OCR rule script and found that the application name on the script step was updated automatically after Nitro PDF Pro was installed.

Here’s the script, should anyone be interested:

tell application "Nitro PDF Pro"
	open theFile as alias
	-- does the document need to be OCR'd?
	get the needs ocr of document 1
	if result is true then
		tell document 1
			ocr
			repeat while performing ocr
				delay 1
			end repeat
			delay 1
			close with saving
		end tell
		--In PDFpen, when no documents are open, window 1 is "Preferences"
		--If other documents are open, do not close the App.
		if name of window 1 is "Preferences" then
				quit
			end tell
		end if
	else
		-- Scan Doc was previously OCR'd or is already a text type PDF.
		tell document 1
			close without saving
		end tell
		--In PDFpen, when no documents are open, window 1 is "Preferences"
		--If other documents are open, do not close the App.
		if name of window 1 is "Preferences" then
				quit
			end tell
		end if
	end if
end tell
2 Likes

This is interesting, I already bought the Pro version hence no point joining setapp for this. However, I am interested to know is there any way to tell what apps will be added or removed from setapp ? I have bought many apps but setapp may be worthwhile for app that continues to charge for an ongoing subscription fee, like Ulysses

There is an official support article for that, see https://support.setapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011302620-Apps-removed-from-Setapp

thanks, in another article they mention that they have a Facebook page to cover apps that are coming to Setapp but unfortunately I do not have a Facebook account, and I do not intend to get one

As far as I can tell that Facebook thread is available for reading without the need to have a Facebook account. Just visit the URL. It does not provide much useful information, though.

(I do not have a Facebook account either. The thread Is available to me anyway.)

yes, you are right, it is more like a wishlist discussion

1 Like