No audio through new Speakers

Hi there,

I just purchased some Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers, and when I plug them into my 2014 27" iMac’s audio output jack, in the Sound System Preferences panel, it shows that they’re connected to “Digital Out”. When I play audio, there’s no output through the speakers at all. The volume is about 3/4 of full on the speakers, and at 100% at Output volume.

If I plugin some headphones to the same audio output port on the iMac, they show up as connected to the “Headphone port”, and I instantly hear audio.

If I plug the speakers into my 2019 MacBook Pro (running Catalina) the speakers show as being connected to the “Headphone port”, and I’m able to hear the audio.

I tried resetting the PRAM, but that hasn’t helped.

Help!?

Is there an option on the iMac to set the audio output to headphone rather than digital audio?

Not sure why it would detect a digital signal if an adapter with TOSLink cable connected but that model iMac has a combo analog/digital audio jack whereas the newer MBP only has an analog audio jack so perhaps the iMac is getting confused and trying to send output digitally.

Nope. The only options when these speakers are plugged in are “Internal Speakers”, “AudioQuest DragonFly” (I plugged my DragonFly DAC into a USB port, and “CaptoDevice” (from Capto screen capture software).

These speakers are replacing some old JBL speakers that also used the audio out port, and connected to the “Headphone port”.

No TOSLink on this computer, as you stated.

Do you have a 3.5mm extension cable you could use between the iMac and speakers? The iMac might not think it is a digital cable.

If you have canned air, you might try gently spritzing the port, in case dust is helping to trigger the toslink sensor.

Perhaps submit a support request directly to Klipsch?

1 Like

All,

I just read this posting on the Klipsch Forum:

Got it figured out, thanks to the Genius bar at the Apple store. First they tried a different speaker, and it worked fine. Then they put the ProMedia on my iMac, and the buzzing was there. They moved it to another iMac, it still buzzed. They moved it to a MacBook Pro, worked fine. As it turns out, the design on the 3.5 jack on the ProMedia is such that it doesn’t plug in properly on the curved back of the iMac, but it plugged in fine on the flat side of a MacBook Pro. So, the solution, a $9 3.5 Jack to USB-C adaptor. Plug went fine in the adapter, and then into my USB-C port. No buzz, things are good.

This is just one of those things, thankfully the Apple genius guy was actually pretty darn sharp and figured it out pretty quick. Speakers sounds amazing now.

It’s not quite the same issue that I’m having, but it’s in the ballpark. However, do I really want to have to buy an adapter, just to get these speakers to work!? I plugged in my old, damned near dead JBL Speakers, and they connected on the “Headphone port”, as expected.

Again, try the 3.5mm extension cable route.
If I’m not mistaken, a USB-C to 3.5mm jack would include a DAC, which you probably don’t want.

Maybe this:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-Female-Stereo-Audio/dp/B01CNAUYBY/

Yeah, I think that could be the issue. For me, I plug the green front speaker out coming the Promedias to my MacBook Pro and I am only picking up my audio on the left speaker. Could it be this adapter that I need?