No Cost Web Hosting

There are many web host providers that offer a low initial cost as an incentive to use their services. Ultimately their charges will rise after the introductory period expires.

For just the cost of the annual domain registration fee, you can create simple websites using Google Domains and Google Sites and/or Blogger. To use this approach, you will need to register for a Google account.

Google’s domain name prices are in line with the industry standard, but its Domain Management interface is much nicer than most of its competitors.

Check for the availability of your name on Google Domain, Sites and Blogger before buying the domain. A tip is to create the site or blog with the name that relates to your Domain. This will allow 2 ways to access your site, eg widgets.com or widgets.blogspot.com.

1. Start by buying the Domain name of your choice.
  2. Log into Google Sites and create your site. You don’t need to finish the design at this stage. If you only want to blog, you can instead go into Blogger and create your blog. If you’re going to have a website with a Blog component, then create both sites so you can embed the blog into your Google Site (example site below).
  3. Go back to Google Domain, select the Domain and click on Manage to start the process of linking the Domain to the website you just created. Full deals of the process can be found here for Google Sites and here for Blogger.

Now that you have your website up and running. An important aspect you need to address is email.

You can set up email forwarding in Google Domains to multiple destinations and/or just one catchall address, such as your Gmail account.

If using Gmail, you will want the email you send for your domain to use the domain name in the return address. You will need to create an app-specific password in the Security section of your Google Account for use in the email alias process.

Once you have completed the above, you now have a website that you can start promoting, with all the backend processes being handled by Google at no cost.

The sites you can create using Google as the provider are admittedly limited in functionality, but for most uses, the available design options are all that is needed. Samples of sites that can be created are;

www.logic2design.com - Static site with Blog

ssh.103home.com - Static site with linked Airtable database

An advantage of this approach that can be taken into consideration is that if, for some reason, the Domain registration lapses the underlying sites will still be available via the Google Sites and Blogger services.

7 Likes

Nice tutorial! I use something similar with Publii, which works on top of github pages, which lets you host a website of plain html/markdown.

1 Like

If you’re working with a static site, you have many options for Free Hosting.

There is Netlify, Github Pages, Digital Ocean also started their free plan in App Platform sometime ago and most recently Cloudflare Pages was introduced.

4 Likes

Vercel is another one for free hosting like Github pages.

Oracle have a free tier VPS, you can get two small x86 CPU ones or some pretty beefy ARM CPU ones for free. Including 50 GB of space. Then the sky’s the limit in terms of what you can install. Obviously much more involved than hosting providers but if you want more control this is the way.

1 Like

Seconding Netlify. I set up my site following this tutorial. Netlify builds the static site from a Github repo.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! I just bought the domain, set up the site and connected the blog. I don’t understand enough to know the details but I guess this will get me the best features from Blogger and Google sites.

Two questions if you or someone happen to know the answer.

1. Can I move my existing website with my existing domain (now with GoDaddy) to Google Sites.

2. Does Google Sites use https as opposed to http. I am sort of at my limit with my GoDaddy account (which for some reason is http) and they want me to spend yet more money to have it an https for the 20 or so pages that I have on my website.

Thanks.

I’m fairly sure you can’t move an existing website to Google Sites. Google Sites is a whole platform and in my experience, you have to create the website using GSites and its tools. There’s some goofiness you can do by “embedding HTML” from your old site but the results are kludgy.

Another rant is the way the new Google Sites is much less user friendly and functional than the old Google Sites but that’s a story for another day.