No tracking Grocery List app recommendation

Isn’t Apple Reminders getting a grocery list feature in the upcoming iOS update? It will sort groceries for you in a list.

I worked for a major grocery chain in the late 60s, the last few years in store management. And we didn’t have a detailed layout of our store. I applaud your efforts. I can’t imagine how much time you spent on this.

I still hate going to the grocery and normally order online these days. :grinning:

1 Like

Interesting that your company did not have a layout scheme.

Aldi (or was it Lidl) refurbished one of their local UK stores the other year and printed leaflets with the new layout on them. Similarly Morrisons refurbed their local store and issued a similar leaflet with the new layout.

Morrisons’s refurb was on the back of installing Party Shops in each store. This took away space for other goods. Not long afterwards CoVid-19 hit. Parties were not allowed — unless you were a Tory working in or near Downing Street. Those Party Shops are now permanently shut, which means the refurb was to no avail.

The biggest update chore is when, like the Morrisons refurb, whole sections are moved around the store. It takes a while to synchronise the sheet with the new layout; basically Morrisons flipped the entire store as a mirror image.

Since the end of 2020 we have switched to online ordering because of other (non-CoVid) health issues but plan to return to in-person shopping around September time when the spreadsheet(s) will come back into use. And if we don’t returnn to in-person shopping I will be updating each sheet to hook into the supermarkets’ online ordering pages to make sure that we miss nothing.

General layout, departments, aisles, etc. was standardized. But placement of brands and allotment of shelf space was subject to change. Even today I can walk into one of the company’s stores and generally know where things will be.

Back then a detailed layout would be a 3 ring binder in a dusty file cabinet in the storeroom. :grinning:

I second Grocery. They collect no data and use a Reminders list for sync so it’s easy to share the grocery list with family members even if they don’t use the Grocery app.

1 Like