Notre Dame Fire

This is far off topic. Sorry.

But, turning to the news a couple hours ago and witnessing – with the rest of the world – the destruction of a global icon – for many a global treasure – was shocking. I recall walking the nave of that building and feeling the whispers of 800+ years of history, both glorious and dreadful, pressing in from all sides. Like everything, it has slipped into memory.

10 Likes

Such a tragedy! Notre Dame was the first ‘real’ cathedral I ever saw. I had been into Australian cathedrals (which are far less grand) and didn’t see what the big deal was. I remember walking into the nave and feeling an incredible sense of awe at its scale and (despite that) grace.

3 Likes

I’ve been crying, it is horrible. I watched the video of the spire collapsing and had to stop. Feels like 9/11

3 Likes

The latest news is that “the worst has been avoided.” I hope that’s true.

1 Like

The stone structure is intact, and there’s already about half a billion euros pledged for the rebuilding effort. It was awful to see it burning, but I don’t think this is the end of Notre Dame.

1 Like

It should not be, thankfully.
(btw it has been rebuilt at least a couple of times in it’s history, it will be rebuilt again :slight_smile:)

0 Likes

Half of Europe’s heritage sites have burned down once or twice, to be fair :laughing:

1 Like

indeed!
and many times in the centuries at some point a king decided to tear down something and rebuild it, so we lost a lot of “versions” of those monuments :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Good point! See Old St Paul’s, for example:

2 Likes

Perhaps this thread is not entirely off topic, as it turns out:

5 Likes

In line with @Wolfie’s and other comments:

0 Likes

This is heartbreaking. Visited there twice. It was so spiritual. 2nd visit was with my son then aged 4- and now 41. I hope he remembers the visit.

0 Likes

Frauenkirche after the criminal bombing of Dresden and today.

Europeans are used to rebuild stuff and did so several times with almost every historic building.

0 Likes