Now that the iPad Pro sports an M1, on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 is most likely) what are the chances the Pro gets Xcode, Final Cut Pro, and Logic Pro?

And allow us to install Mac apps - talking about you Microsoft Excel instead of that watered down IOS sibling of yours.

No.   

3 Likes

XCode and Visual Studio Code are two different apps. XCode is an IDE and complier. Visual Studio Code is a text editor. I am not expecting the user of one app to just switch to the other. I agree if you are a Swift developer you will need XCode.

Isn’t the limitation here mainly on the part of the software dev? I mean, couldn’t Excel compiled for an ARM Mac just as easily be recompiled for iPad if that’s what they wanted to do?

16GB says something big will happen.

(Right now I see it as evicting apps less often, which isn’t much of a thing.)

2 Likes

The platform will never stand alone until it has a compiler (a native compiler). With 16GB of RAM and M1, the iPad seems like it could easily handle software development tasks. I vote 5 for Xcode.

But keep in mind, Xcode is the GUI based IDE + an entire tool chain, including command line tools. To get the benefit of Xcode, you need terminal access. How does that play into all of this?

From the perspective of the Xcode user interface, I think the trick for a tools developer is designing a familiar but different Xcode interface for iPad. The development workflow will necessarily be different on iPad, particularly because the windowing environment is different. Hopefully, if Xcode is coming, the makers spent a good deal of time designing to promote development efficiency in an iPad-centric way.

Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro seem like inevitable arrivals. So, I give them 5s also. (I don’t use either, so I have no sense of what limitations have to be navigated—if any—when migrated to iPad.)

M1 was not a “branding” thing as some pundits are saying. Apple put a desktop-class processor in an iPad. That seems to me a very loud signal that portends to a bright software future for iPad.

1 Like

My cynical take:

It’s becoming clear that Apple doesn’t want to maintain two separate codebases anymore to make an app for both Mac and iOS, which is probably why they created Catalyst. Unless they’re going to port a ton of macOS APIs to iOS, that would mean re-writing XCode, Final Cut Pro, etc in Catalyst, which I doubt will happen either.

My wish would be for the iPad Pro to dual boot to macOS when a Magic Keyboard is attached, but I doubt will ever happen either.

1/5 for XCode until iPadOS supports swap and programs don’t just die because you checked your email.

1 Like

With 8Gb to 16GB of RAM, maybe this is coming…

1 Like

I don’t think it’s true that the market for iOS apps doesn’t support $100 price tags. I think the functionality of many of the apps available on the App Store don’t justify a $100 price and consumers know that.

On the other hand, I think people would pay full price for professional grade apps. The market is smaller for sure. I use some pricey apps for my trial practice. They are worth every penny. But the vast majority of iPad users probably don’t need specialized software for trying cases!

Has any truly marvelous, desktop class iOS app failed because it cost too much? That’s an actual question soliciting information. I’m not implying I know the answer or that the answer is “none.” I don’t know of any, but I’m also not an encyclopedia of iOS apps.

Give consumers full-strength apps. I bet they’ll pay. But they have to have software that does at least as much as what they can already do with the equivalent software on their desktops/laptops.

2 Likes